pet peeves

Discussion in 'Community' started by vniow, May 7, 2003.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Little things that annoy the living crap out if me are:

When the ear of a dog is flipped over its head and the owner does nothing about it, I don't know why, I just want to flick it back every time I see that.

Ingrown hairs, I hate having to manually tweeze them out, more trouble then it should be worth and not too pleasant...

When random keys on my keyboard stick for no reason (like one of the enter keys on my Logitech, although I did spill Coke on it...)

Misuse of they're, their and there or too, to and two, really annoying...

And last but not least, people that are too happy, the sunshiney glow of some people's constant smiles is enough to make me puke...

There's more, but I can't think of any right now, how about you?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

when people bite their nails...

when someone talks to me while I'm on the phone...

when some dumbass client challenges my ability by saying he/she "designed" something in Publisher or Word then has the audacity to ask me what program I'm using...

3. vniow thread starter macrumors G4

Oohh..yeah, I forgot that one, although I chew off some extra skin on my hands from time to time...[​IMG]

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When people use the word 'gay' for things that are obviosly not
    happy, bright, or homosexual. :rolleyes: ;)

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

When you talk to a person and they don't listen.

When stupid little ignorant kids at school say "apples" sucks...

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

people who merge into a lane to their left for no apparant reason (they don't go any faster, aren't passing anyone, they just didn't like the lane they were in). this doubly annoys me when they merge in front of me, and go the same speed they were going, whihc then slows me down.

california drivers when it drizzles. its like they all freak out and don't know how to drive one bit.

People who don't know the right of way rules and end up holding people up because they are afraid to take the right of way they have (or are trying to be ncie by letting someone else go, when it would be faster for everyone if they just went)

groups of people who walk slowly down the side walk side by side, making it nearly impossible for anyone moving faster to get around them. Related to that is people walking anywhere oblivious to others around them, and hold people up by simply stopping in the middle of the sidewalk, walking really, really slowly, or expect you to move to the side when you're coming the opposite direction and make no effort to move an inch themselves.

people on craigslist.com who asy they are going to buy something and come and see it, and then never show up and don't call.

People who heard once that they shuold "pump their brakes" and have no idea what it means, but do it all the time anyway when theya ren't supposed to, or when they have ABS.

People who go enter a freeway at 45 miles an hour.

Common theme here is most of these are transportation related and people holding me up. I guess its the beginnings of road rage, but its not really. Its not like I'm an insane, fast driver, quite the opposite actually (my car wouldn't let me drive that fast anyway), but what it relaly comes down to for me are people who are simply oblivious of whats going on around them and don't care if what they do makes things less safe for others or hold people up without good reason.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That bothers me too scem0. All this political correct nonsense is for the birds. Words should be used according to the dictionary definition. I think that the use of gay is the worst! ;)

People that say they are going to do something and then don't! A persons word should be their bond!

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

LOL, strider42, I know exactly what you're talking about. SoCal drivers get so messed up when it rains. It's surreal.

Here's my biggest, and pretty much only, pet peeve: cell-phone drivers.

9 times out of 10, if someone is cutting people off, or driving too slowly, they're on their cell-phone. It's completely ridiculous.

It's not even funny how often I see people on their cells when they shouldn't be:
    -People on bikes, trying to steer with one hand
    -Just yesterday I saw a guy on crutch (yes, that's crutch singular) trying to walk and talk at the same time. Needless to say, he wasn't making very good progress. :rolleyes:

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The way things have been going on this site, I'm surprised somebody hasn't said...

Democrats :eek:

But Politically Correct morons are probably the worst. (OOoooh, he made an off color joke -- he's probably racist. :rolleyes: )

10. BrittasMac macrumors member

People on the internet who substitute the word "of" for the word "have."

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

the words 'gay' and 'fag' definitely, people who don't use TURN SIGNALS... kind of like what people said earlier, when people walk around in stores completely oblivious to anyone else, doddling along about a foot a minute taking up the entire width of the aisle; we had this old couple in front of us the other day that SAW us, realized we wanted by, and continued to ignore us... office politics... honor roll bumperstickers... 'defense of marriage' bills... passive-agressive people, mothers-in-law (well, one in particular)... winter... slow people (i know they can't help it, but do they *have* to speak to me?)... weight-loss and get-rich-quick gimmicks... bad coffee... urban legends, spread as fact...

the list goes on and on like that for pages if i typed it out... but you get the idea ;)

pnw

12. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

good one.

'Fag' annoys me too.

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

When somebody says "you guys" to refer to a group of mixed sex. Guy is a male term.

If you can call a group of boy and girls "guys," why not "gals?" Oh, right -- it's a bad thing to be a girl, and all the boys would get offended. :rolleyes:

14. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: pet peeves

LOL Our family has had two Samoyeds over the last 17 years. When they're young pups, both ears fold over (not enough cartilage yet), and as they age, one or the other will go upright before the other, so they look lopsided. It's the cutest thing.

You can see some photos at www.samoyed.org or www.samoyed.com

Oh yeah -- another pet peeve -- cat people!

15. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

if you took the time to examine the history of the english language, you would find that "he," and not "she," is the pronoun for use when referring to a person oof indeterminate gender. this flows over to little phrases like that one. it's not a sexist thing, it's a linguistic thing, and the fact that it bothers you, i believe, reflects your own personal agenda. what pisses me off is when someone says "y'all" to refer to a group in the second person. "you all" is cool, as is "you."

i also hate it when people don't really listen when i am talking, or break the conversation in the middle to go talk to someone else. there is no better way to say you have no respect for someone.

i also hate "brang." it's brought, for god's sake! it shocks me how many people i am around use thins non-word.

16. Edot macrumors 6502

Male Dominance

You probably can't stand the Spanish language then either:D I'm sure THERE are other languages, that use male doninance in targeting groups of mixed sex, TOO. It's probably just something that was decided or evolved long ago when males were considered the superior(dominant) group. Actually I have no idea why it is that way. I am just guessing.:D

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

But a specific group of people is not of indeterminant sex.

If you're talking about an imaginary or hypothetical person, the correct way to do it has traditionally been to ascribe a male gender to them, yes, but a crowd of people would certainly not be referred to by a blanket gender. You never heard a crowd referred to as "gentlemen," it was always, "ladies and gentlemen."

There are no politics in this. I get this pet peeve from my mother, who has a masters in English and is a teacher.

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

socal drivers "appear" to be wussies when it rains...but we do have a legit excuse!!! there are a lot of cars and what happens when it rains is the oil from the cars and grime and stuff mix with the water from the rain and since oil floats on water, the roads get very slippery and become very hard to drive on. in reality we're more cautious then you think...

19. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i will admit that "you guys" to a mixed group is informal, but it doesn't bother me still. i mean, i would be peeved if a friend of mine addressed the group as "ladies and gentlemen" like it was a circus act or a public performance. and "you people" seems rather insulting, depending on the tone. i think that "guys" has really come to lend itself to that whole group image.

Dictionary.com seems to be on my side:

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

It's slang at best. Would you object if your friend addressed your group as "You gals?"

What's wrong with "folks?"

21. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Huh.

Anything that demeans people of race, color, ethnicity, sexual orientation, social class, etc. Having grown up with a pretty liberal view on life, I think people should be taken for who they are and not judged for the difference.

While being straight, I am very offended by people who attack gays and minorities, because if I didn't have help from so many people from all the different groups throughout my life and especially during the darker times, I think I would have been a lot worse off.

I've been blessed to see the good hearts in so many people -- regardless of race or sexual orientation -- who simply tried to make life a little bit better for other people. I am constantly inspired by those examples and, as a result, aspire to be a better person.

I fight my tendencies to be negative by trying to be a sun-shiney person. Even if I don't feel that way all the time, I would rather make someone laugh that make them frown.

22. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

WHAT?!?! You live in Texas! :eek: ;) :D

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i KNOW, man, that's what makes it so unbearable (well, that and the heat/humidity, and the chronically low IQs, and...)