PeTA = Bull****

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jonutarr, Nov 3, 2006.

1. jonutarr macrumors regular

jonutarr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgRvYrYwrrQ

And trust me, what Penn & Teller revile about them is only the tip of the iceberg

Makes me think of of some primitive Religion that worships animals like gods :rolleyes:

I think im gong to buy steak and a leather jacket today to show my unsupport of these double standard peta freaks

2. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I love that Penn and Teller episode! I love that whole show, it's a shame it's not on anymore.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It was particularly funny/ironic when a PETA chapter here in NC got caught euthanizing animals they'd rescued from local animal shelters and then dumping the bodies in restaurants' dumpsters.

I'm all for ethical treatment of animals, but let's remember who's at the top of the food chain and who's more important. Most PETA members would tell you that it's wrong to sacrifice even one chimpanzee, even if doing so would help you develop a cure for some form of cancer.

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Most of the protesters have no idea what they wear and the products they use everyday come from animals or produced with animal labour.

P&T make a good point about animal rights. Once you grant them rights, they are required to follow rules (set by man, no doubt) and pay taxes.

5. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

That's the sort of thinking that is the crux of the argument. We are all animals and humans are NOT the top of the foodchain (this is still highly contested). All depends on ones spiritual and ethical position. All living creatures are equal according to my way of life - I don't understand how ppl can disrespect living beings for one, and secondly why ppl who don't agree feel they need to disrespect each other (others beliefs).

I really like this - don't know who the person is - but it's pretty cool.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15KgyXBX24

6. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Most people who have pets love their pets and feed them well and take care of them, and even pay for operations etc. Nice to know PETA wants to rescue pets from that kind of horrible situation.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Heh.

New rule: If you join PETA, you have to leave modern civilization and live out in the wilderness... because there is virtually NO aspect of our civilization that doesn't adversely impact on animals (including the animals known as homo sapiens) in some way.

The reality is that PETA is the sort of thing that's only possible because of the relative decadence of our society. People nowadays are allowed to bitch about EVERYTHING, even the stuff that allows them to live in the manner to which they've become accustomed.

8. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

ohh..you sound like such a sweetheart :)

9. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I don' think it's a matter of disrespect. If I was living in the wilderness and I was really really hungry dying of starvation, I wouldn't hesitate to eat you.

People don't kill their own food; it happens mainly out of sight, so our modern living shields us from what some consider cruel. But it isn't. Should we put lions on trial for killing gazelles?

As for animal testing... would peta prefer people testing? Without animal testing for drugs and cures for diseases, we wouldn't live past the age of 40 and women would walk around looking very homely. :eek:

10. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

This isn't the point I am making, you are mixing a number of different issues here - it's about intent.... survival is one thing, testing human medicines on animals for human benefit is also another. It's a bit hard to really discuss an issue I brought up in my earlier post, with now new issues on top of that - with you quoting my original post. These things are complex (like anything) - to further cross issues sort of defeats the purpose.

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My uncles liked to shoot squirrels from their back porch.

Totally inappropriate post!

:eek:

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

PETA is an organisation with good intentions horribly executed.

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Then why are the animal sheters filled to overflowing?

14. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

How do you know that represents most people?

15. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Ah, so that makes them like Greenpeace, eh? ;)

I think PeTA would do a lot more good if they were less "in your face" with respect to their campaigning. Almost comes off as smug and holier-then-thou. Actually, that's exactly how they come off.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes....I don't think animals should be tested on for make up , body wash ect, but for things like cancer and AIDS research, it has to be done. Its basic math(even assuming humans are equal to other animals) test 100 monkeys, but cure AIDS and safe millions, possibly billions. It doesn't take a a genus to make the right move

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Because they're too small. If they were bigger they'd have more room. Same with prisons - they're too small and we haven't figured out that the answer is to make a bigger prison. Trust me, I know all about big prisons ;) .
    Wonder how many fish I'll catch with this?

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

nice pun.

19. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Extreme Organization

I thing the biggest problem is that any extremest group is that they don't try to educate facts, they expect domatic followings. And that is the biggest problem. They have pre written letters (as many organizations do) to be given to government officials, and inform readers of such views in ways of not open to take as your own judgement, but as you are not a good person unless you do. --- This goes for really any extreme organization though...

What time and what channel is Bullsh^it on? That was really funny

P.S. I'm down with saving any animals from being wrongly treated! But I'm not down for bending the truth like PETA has done to make what is factual look completely worse... I especially hate the Milk Cows debate about how Milk Cows can't move, can't lay down, can't do anything at all what so ever. Now thats Bullsh^t... How do I know because I grew up on a farm!!!

Thats not to say that some are wrongfully treating animals, but on my farm and the few hundred of farming families I knew, I know aren't! And I dont see the logic/validity behind most of PETA's claims.

20. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

If we are assuming that humans are only equal to other animals, then how does it make sense for us to do testing on them to cure one of our diseases? Rather than sacrifice 100 monkeys to save millions of humans, why not sacrifice 100 humans?

21. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ingrid Newkirk is reputedly dragging in a few tens of millions of dollars per year with her PETA shtick. Nice work if you can get it. Anybody bright enough to put that sort of PR deal together is way too bright to actually believe such an idiocy as, "A rat is a pig is a dog is a boy."

Waynbe Purcelles with Humane Society of the Uninted States (HSUS) isn't much better, although he comes across as believing his BS.

'Rat

22. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Just curious. What happens when they are testing body wash or detergent on a say a dog? Do they just pour, lather, rinse and repeat? And if so would that not make the dogs happy? My dogs love any bath that you can throw at them

23. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

Typically the testing would involve injecting the agent (wash soap whatever) directly into the bloodsteam, rubbing the wash into the eyes repeatedly for days with the eyes held open so the animal can't blink to wash the agent away, forcing ingestion, of course the animal would be strapped down the entire time, then when the testing has finished the animal will be destroyed.

24. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'll give money to PETA when they can finally teach dogs to use condoms.

25. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh interesting...