Petition to Sony regarding MicroMV camcorders

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Corpus_Callosum, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Corpus_Callosum macrumors newbie

Please sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/osxmicmv/ requesting Sony to support Macs for MicroMV camcorders. For those of you that don't know, these are the ultra-compact MPEG2 camcorders. They use firewire, but the protocol is proprietary and they have not released support for Macs. These things have been out for almost 2 years now.

Please help!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Petition to Sony regarding MicroMV camcorders

[​IMG]

Isn't that Sony's so-called dead format?

or...

Didn't Sony announced they were killing those things off?

3. Corpus_Callosum thread starter macrumors newbie

MicroMV dead?

There are rumors about this. But Sony is releasing a new camera with this format as we speak, so I guess, "MicroMV is dead... Long live MicroMV?"

The cameras are actually quite nice. But you can't do anything with them, because getting the video into your Mac is impossible (and everyone knows that nobody edits video on a PC ;-)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I had thought I saw a press release on it in LA Times or NY Times some months ago, could have been a analyst prediction -- been awhile, about something that didn't impact me personally.

5. Corpus_Callosum thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, Sony is stubborn. The cameras are terrific, the tapes small... Everything about them is goodness. But *everyone* hates them because you have to use Sony's sh*t software on the PC to download video. So, everyone predicts their death. But Sony keeps going with it...

At any rate, (everyone) please sign this thing and email your Mac buddies, even if it is just for the sake of ideals... Sony needs to hear a loud thunderclap from owners of Macs that they would like to be recognized in the digital video marketplace.

6. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow, I just started looking at MicroDVs to do some of our hidden camera stuff, I had no idea they were proprietary... I generally think that these online petitions are a waste of time, and this is no exception.. but I'll sign, cuz those things are so goddamn cool.

7. Corpus_Callosum thread starter macrumors newbie

Keep thread alive

I want to keep this thread alive, need more signatures... Sure the format might be dying, but if we can get Sony to at least release the specs, third-party support (drivers) can be developed. That would be great.

Please sign the petition!