Pew Study: Republicans Happier than Democrats

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Heb1228, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Are We Happy Yet?

I think this is also reflected by reading the posts around the Politics, Religion, Social Issues thread. (And you can't blame it on Bush, its a trend that goes back to the 70s.) ;)

Quote:

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ignorance is bliss. ;)

But seriously- I consider myself to be a fairly happy Independent. Are there numbers for Independents? Nevermind- saw it! Too funny. We're the most bitter. No surprise there. :)

3. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, as quoted above about 29% for Independents, one point lower than the Democrats. The actual report goes into more detail than quoted above.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    From my readings of the Bible, I don't think Jesus was all that happy in a world of poverty, starvation, racial hatred, religious persecution, unchecked greed and war either.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Which only goes to show, it doesn't pay to care.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nor does it make you happy.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

There's been less and less to be happy about over the last 30 years.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you don't happen to be a Republican.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

so what's the causality (if any)? if you're happy, you're drawn to the GOP, or being republican makes you happy?

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Silly wabbit, it's the same (or the inverse) force that draws liberals to work in the media.

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I think being Republican means you're impervious to the needs of the world around you. See no evil......

13. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm glad you bring that up because it often makes me unhappy (;)) when reporters or others start pulling unsupported "logical" conclusions from studies.

I'm not saying that you're doing it now, but all too often I see a study similar to this, republicans are on average happier, then some idiot reporter writes "being a republican makes you happy", or "being happy will make you want to vote republican". The study doesn't prove anything like this. Perhaps being religous makes you happy and more likely to encounter republican propaganda? Perhaps fresh air makes you happy and perhaps living on the countryside gives you more fresh air which makes you happy and perhaps people who like traditional values like living on the countryside and see the republicans as better defenders of traditional values. Perhaps being on the politically winning team makes you happy. Neither of these hypotheses are probably true, I'm just pointing out that you can't draw a cause and effect conclusion just from one single study that finds two correlated variables.

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

perhaps affiliating oneself with a political group that delights in using 4th grade playground tactics to attack others appeals to those whose glory days ended with varsity football. :)

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Is a Republican now the same as a Republican from 30 years ago?

I'd venture a guess being "No". I am not sure too many republicans (or Democrats for that matter) have stopped to look at what their respective parties have become.

The Modern GOP has thrown most genuine Conservative ideology out of the window, and the Dems have an identity crisis - they've picked up the mantle of the traditional conservatism, while losing their backbone somewhere along the way.

I'd bet that if more people stopped to think about things, they's be pretty unhappy about the Political nowadays, but they have plasma televisions and whatnot...

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

republicans, historically, have more money and are more likely to make more and be entrepreneurs...as a matter of fact i think they love their money imho, or at least most of them, and they equate that with happiness

personally to me, the love of money is not what makes me happy

17. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

This is news? If you are happy about the status quo you are more likely to be a Republican. You are also more likely to be indifferent to what causes so many others to be unhappy. Glad Pew went to all the trouble to inform us of the obvious.

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

This is a good point. I myself have difficulty granting any credibility to this study, considering the overly simplified nature of the question, with such vague measurement levels including "very happy," "pretty happy," and "not too happy." It would seem to me that a short "happiness" assessment designed by a mental health professional would be more appropriate.

Regardless -- examining the heading of the OP, I believe the correlation between Republicanism and "happiness" is entirely spurious. Even the study stated that there are certain qualities that Republicans possess that could explain the happiness. I think we need to examine the definite cultural differences between Republicans and Democrats to arrive at a more accurate explanation. Why are religious, wealthy, educated, etc. people more happy?

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thanks for that. perhaps this lends some credibility to that phrase "bleeding heart liberal".

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was the first thing I thought of too. :p

Independents are the least happy, no surprise. We hate everybody. But hey, I think it's funny that Heb is probably trying to use this in support of Republicans. I'd say it was the opposite. If you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention. ;)

21. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Only because we get satisfaction knowing dems are using 3rd grade playground tactics. :D

22. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

or some may bask in their glory days of their fraternity, which is not really on a much different level ;)

but in the case of george w bush, his fraternity actually has some serious connections in the world of politics, both republican and democrat

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not that I disagree necessarily, but do you really think the republicans are any better? I'd say they were both kindergarteners, but while the liberals are whiny babies wandering aimlessly around, the neocons are stealing everyone else's toys, screaming about how unfair life is even though the teachers let them get away with murder, and beating up on those who are smaller than they are. But hey, as long as the dems are dipsticks, I guess it's ok. ;)