Peyton's NEW Mac OSK idea...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Peyton, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    You may remember my last idea... greeted with much laughter and rolled eyes ;) ;) about scrolling app windows with your eyes and isight camera...

NEW IDEA: I create graphics for work. Lighting and shadows are 2 big parts of graphic art.

Apple makes beautiful icons and uses shadowing etc thoughout OSX to make things look life like and almost 'grabbable'. My idea would be, to use an iSight camera, to monitor the primary light source in the room, and then make all shadows change based on the position/presence of the light.

Look at the Pages logo

The 'light' on that image would move to correspond to the light in your room.

At night, perhaps a spotlight looking feature would appear on the top (or in a dark room) Of course there would be a 'standard' mode that would allow users to turn it off...

This of course would be most obvious on a laptop, but homes see all types of lighting, day light, floorlamps, etc. and their constant flux.

Before you tell me how this could never work or 'why would you want that'
    1st. I think it would awesome looking, and with motion desktop wallpapers, coming, I see current icons as being slightly boring, this would keep things looking fresher, longer because you aren't looking at the 'exact' same thing all the time.

ok, flame away...:rolleyes:
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You'd need to have a collection of different icon sets (9 oclock, 12 noon, 3 oclock, etc.) and swap them out based on some input.

Generating icons dynamically (as opposed to swapping between pre-made sets) would probably be too compute intensive *if it could be done.
  3. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    ummm ok...I don't mean to flame....but why? Yes it might be neat, but it seems like a lot of work (on apples part) for some eye candy.
  4. Kingsly macrumors 68040

It would be freaking awesome, if it didn't take up all the CPU cycles to do it!
    Here's looking forward to OS 10.5!
  5. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Peyton, no flames from me. I'm just gonna say that if you think it's a good idea, why not look into developing it yourself? Not all OS-look upgrades come from Apple. For example, CandyBar. I think if you were able to pull this off you should be quite proud of the accomplishment and imagine what you'd learn along the way!
  6. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Um, what lengths have then NOT gone to for eye candy? Seems they want to sell hardware, they have customers who buy their computers ONLY for eye candy. If they weren't concerned with things looking good, I think they wouldn't worry so much with GUIs and 'brushed metal' as opposed to this and that etc. 'why' is the first knee jerk reaction, but I think you could say that back in the day when there was no GUI at all...
  7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    That's a nice idea.

Some people like those screensavers that show a photo that changes over 24 hours to match day and night, so there's a ready-made audience for this invention.

But I still find it creepy to use one of those little apps that draws a face and then the eyes move to watch the cursor as it moves around the screen. So I might not want my interface to be so aware!
  8. sunfast macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2005
    Or as a similar idea have a sun that moves across your desktop based on data for where you are in the world and the time and the shadows change with that