PF - Dark Side of the Moon, and The Wizard of Oz

Discussion in 'Community' started by OutThere, Mar 27, 2004.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I was listening to some Pink Floyd today, and I remembered that there was a correlation between Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz. I looked it up online, and found out that, supposedly, if you start the album at the third roar of the MGM lion, the music synchronises with the movie in strangely coincidental ways. I'm going to try and get my hands on a DVD of The Wizard of Oz, and try this for myself. Anyone here ever done it? They bring up some interesting points at these to places...

http://eeggs.com/tree/2253.html

http://www.synchronicityarkive.com/dsotr.php

My question - was Pink Floyd nuts enough to actually do this, or is it just a coincidence? I think that might be everyone's question...;)

2. Opteron macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if you know whether or not Pink Floyd wasn't a person, but rather a band.
    And this was news 2-3 years ago.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You know what? You can make that work with any movie. Yes, I have done it, but then I tested it with another movie. You'll be suprised at how often you can find correlations if you look for them.

P-Worm

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

yeah it true about it working with just about anything. I had a tape of Waynes World with dubbed over My Little Pony audio, and it was in sync pretty well.

Don't ask how I had a Waynes World with My Little Pony dubbed over it, it's a complicated story to explain.

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The reason it works

If you expect it to sync up (because that's what you've heard), you notice places where the picture and music seem to align, and the rest makes no impression on you. So you think it's true, which reinforces the impression further. Human nature.

6. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I have done it and it sync fine. When she arrive to Oz and everything is yellow and colorful the song Money starts just like that.

7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

It actually syncs up perfectly. I know there's that whole human nature of wanting to find something thing, but this really works. Get drunk when you do it, makes it all much better :p.

BEN

8. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Actually, there are a number of websites about this. My favorite is syncing the final section of 2001 ("Jupiter to Infiniti" I think) with Echoes (Pink Floyd's Meddle).

9. phonemonkey macrumors regular

It works with their album animals also.

10. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

I did notice that their "variants" section seemed a little far fetched. Use any CD and it will sync up...:D. Still waiting on this DVD though, I think I'll pay a visit to the library later.

11. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i'd heard (and, granted, this was back in high school, so it was one of those "dude, i TOTALLY heard somewhere...") that Kubrik had expressed regrets about not having PF do the soundtrack to 2001. so in sort of an homage, they actually wrote Echoes to sync up with the freak-out segment of the movie.

not sayin' it's true, but i TOTALLY heard that somewhere...

12. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

http://www.ifthensoft.com/index2.html

eat your heart out. an app that tells you when the stuff will happen. just start dark side of the moon and do what it says.

still have yet to try it for myself.