Pharmaceutical medicine all a grand hoax?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by srobert, Jan 30, 2007.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Goodday to you all. I came across this article while making my daily read of google news.

Link

I often catch some of those pharmaceutical commercials when I channel surf the american networks. I can't help thinking to myself that these commercial felt "very wrong". "Ask your doctor about > insert name of pharmaceutical product here" <. I keep hearing those stories about doctor being invited to expensive cruises or tropical locations to listen to pharmaceutical sale pitches.

I'd like to know your opinion on the subject. Do you think the author is exaggerating?

Some extracts

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Put simply, Mike Adams doesn't have a clue. Thats why he is a journalist.

Whilst it is true that Pharmaceutical companies are in the business for how much money they can make, there is largely no point to this article. There are many drugs which help many people without adverse effects.

What does the author suggest as an alternative to 'modern medicine'?

David

EDIT: The author is including myself in his groupings of people who are only interested in prolonging disease.

"Pharmaceutical medicine, as practiced today, is a grand medical hoax involving the mainstream media, the FDA, drug companies, medical journals, medical schools and even M.D.s. They've all quietly agreed to do whatever it takes to maximize profits at the expense of public health, regardless of the science or the ethics involved. So-called "evidence-based medicine" has become modern-day quackery."

3. Queso macrumors G4

Personally I don't see a problem with the drugs, although I do feel that there is a problem with over-subscription. We're all living in polluted habitats so of course our bodies are showing all sorts of symptoms that weren't there for previous generations. We're also using antibiotics for stupid things, and trying to disinfect our living spaces rather than allowing our natural immune systems to deal with infections.

Humans see themselves as outside of the natural cycle of the planet. This is just another side of that same train of thought, but it doesn't mean it's all a global conspiracy.

4. vniow macrumors G4

From the author's own website:

Uh-huh.

http://www.healthranger.org/

I'd love to see him explain how no drugs and no surgery can cure my problem.

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Googled Mike Adams and got this page as a result:

Link

A little weird.

edit: beaten to it. That settles it ^_^

6. Queso macrumors G4

7. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

As a physiology/pharmacology grad student, a part of our curriculum is to learn about the process that is involved in designing and testing a drug. The process typically takes about 5-8 years, and costs ~$100,000. It's only natural to expect that companies will push their drugs out as fast as they can, to minimize their losses.
    A prime example of this was last spring when one company or another came out with a constipation drug for women. You may ask why just for women? Doesn't the GI work the same for both sexes? Why, yes, it does. The reason it was marketed this way was that the company never tested it on men, and were simply trying to get the thing on the shelves.
    Another example that you wouldn't hear about is the wonderful effects of surgery on Alzheimer's. Using the mesentery (which is a sheet of connective tissues that feeds the intestines with blood), it has been shown that patients actually gain much of their cognitive functions back. Why haven't you heard about this? Probably because you can't go to your doctor and have him recomend a pill that costs $80 for it.
    Yes, pharmaceutical companies treat doctors like Royalty. A couple of summers ago I went to Orlando, where there was a meeting of Gastroenterologists. Jansen (on of the main companies) actually had rented out SeaWorld, and had a private showing in the evening, with free drinks, rides, and food up the wazoo. It's just silly to think that this has no influence on modern medicine.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Rather reminds me of that Kevin Trudeau fellow on the infomercials touting his all-natural cures books. I'm skeptical of anyone that says "I have the answers, and I can sell them to you."

9. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Actually, the average cost of bringing a new drug all the way to market is about $800 million, according to recent Tufts University study.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

When you can get CANCER drugs in Canada for like 10x cheaper than you can in America...

its proof that pharaceutical companies DONT GIVE A CRAP ABOUT YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING!

bottom line is always the dollar.

ER (tv show) quote approximation : "Where is there no new Malaria drug? Because people in 3rd world countries dont have any money."

There could be a cure for AIDS and/or cancer by today if we didnt spend the last decade worrying about creating new drugs that do NOTHING but hurt patients. (VIOXX...)

11. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Sorry meant ~$100 M, not $100K

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The pharmacuetical companies, as a group, predate everyone involved in medicine. This includes the health care workers, patients, insurance companies and tax payers. The effort is not in curing, it is in treating symptoms.

Someone close to me was diagnosed with serum hepantitis C. When he asked why there is not cure, the answer was, little effort has been made to cure this disease. People generally get it through blood transfusion and illegal drug use. His medicine to remain alive is ~$2400/month. This drugs profit margin is incredible. In testimony, the manufacturer (forget which one) said, "We need these profit margins to continue R&D".

This is a national disgrace. Few people want to acknowledge it, and even less take action against it..

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

"and diabetes drugs cause liver damage."

and without them you die

14. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Perhaps the thread title should read "Pharmaceutical Industry all a grand Hoax"?

Medicine's okay. Profiting off of illness less so. That's why a wholly market-based medical system doesn't work.

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

The "symptoms" of my disease would kill me without pharmaceuticals. I'm glad this asshat has decided that treating such symptoms is a bad thing. ****ing prick.

I wish brain cancer upon this tool.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

clearly, you're just not reading fast enough.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i initially read "this" as "his", and that made me laugh.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If he got brain cancer in his cock, would it explain why he seems to be talking out his ass? Or would the plot just thicken?

19. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now you're wishing brain cancer on the guy's rooster?

Aren't roosters dumb enough as it is? :p

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pharmaceutical companies give me the creeps too. There's something very wrong when I see a drug rep come into my doctor's office to drop off samples and to see if he's "free for lunch". Yeah, that's not weird at all. :rolleyes: And just where are these samples going? Who's getting them?

BTW- my orthopaedist wanted to put me on Vioxx for my arthritis, glad I refused. Do I have pain? Yep- a lot of the time. But physical therapy has worked wonders. I'll take a little pain over a heart attack or stroke, thanks. I'll deal with it til I absolutely must have surgery. Are all drugs bad? Of course not. But I'm not taking them unless there's no other option.

21. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

As a post Biomedical Science Pharmacology / current Medical student I do know what the mesentery is.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

While I've no love for the pharmaceutical biz, this guy is nuts from the get-go:

Oh, really? You mean when I get a staph infection, the antibiotics I take don't kill the staph bacteria, they only perform the same function as chicken soup?

Puh-leeze. Is this guy a friend of Tom Cruise? :rolleyes:

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

hey, don't knock chicken soup!

24. janey macrumors 603

janey

that guy scares me. i hate ads myself, i hate reps who stay for hours on end talking to anyone who'll listen at the dr's office promoting all sorts of meds, but that guy scares me.

sure some of my meds have side effects that are..exactly what they're supposed to help...and whatever...but there's no denying that they help. sore throat? headache? way easier and better to deal with than expensive hospital visits and death, duh.

sure, sometimes they kill people or have the worst side effects imaginable, but more people would end up dying from not having access to meds they really need than from having the drug readily available.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I opened this thread expecting to be about Tom Cruise. I'm disappointed.