Pharmacuitical Companies run for profit or public good

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by diamond geezer, Feb 22, 2004.

1. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Considering their importance for public health, should companies be run with profit or public good as the bottom line?

Is it fair that public money is used for research, so that the same public can be ripped-off from the resulting medicines?

If they are run as any other business, what is the incentive for them to discover/market cures, when they can make far more money from continuous symptomatic relief (as in the case of AIDS).

2. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    There is only one answer— PROFIT!!!

just look at who are the top contirbutors to the GOP.
    "Top 50 Donors to the GOP"
    1. Philip Morris, New York — $10,335,170
    2. American Financial Group — $6,566,758
    3. Alticor Inc., Ada Michigan — $6,019,447
    4. Pfizer Inc. New York — $5,587,933
    5. AT&T corp, NY — $5,549,326
    14. Pharmaceutical Research & Man. of Amer. DC — $3,427,344
    16. Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, NY $3,294,608

Anyway I won't bore you with all 50 but you get the idea. During a GOP era the Pharmaceuticals reap many benfits from the administration, and the bottom line as with all corps is PROFITS — screw the inflicted, ill, terminal, or sick. Lets just see how much we can charge for our new drugs!!

When I was dignosed with colen cancer and had to have 6" of my colen removed and then go through chemotherapy for 6 months, each chemo session came in at approxiately $6,000 of which I(thank god for insurance) paid only a $20 co-pay. but the bill I saw disgusted me, when I saw that the main drug "Camptosar" (20mg) cost $4,500.00, that was for one dose. What the hell costs that much!! and why is it so damn expensive?

Sparky, cancer survivor
  3. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    But isn't the freedom to "profit and damn the consequences" the cornerstone of the American Dream?

Really Sparky, I never took you for being such a god-damned-pinko-commie-fag.

4. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    watch the slander Diamond!!

I wasn't blasting the right to make money, God knows I'm trying to get my own product out on the market as we speak.

"Spark'y Marinade" coming to fine Grocers in your area soon"

OK enough, besides you wanna see this fag kick your ass?

I am all for free enterprise and Capitalism, It's what this country is founded on and makes us a step above the rest. But when I see blatent price gouging and no concern for the outcome I have to wonder. What is Fair Practice? Just because a drug can help save my life, do you have to charge me an outrageous amount for it?

When you get there Diamond you think about it. Until then quit calling people names.
  5. diamond geezer thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    Jeez, I was joking Sparky, that's what those smiley faces mean.

What flavour is your marinade, sweat and sour?

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    My mom is also a cancer survivor (Breast Cancer) and the same was true for her. Her monthly medication was high in copays let alone what it would have cost her out of pocket w/o insurance!
  7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Jul 4, 2003
    Terlingua, Texas
    I would like to know more about "...85 percent of the basic and clinical research for drugs on our market today was funded by taxpayers." In what way? There is some sort of federal government grant-money system, or equivalent?

Some fifteen or twenty years back I read that the cost of research and testing and approval for a new "wonder drug" could run as much as $120 million. Stipulating fact, then, one can but wonder at today's costs...

Colon cancer, huh? BTDT. don't like the tee-shirt. :) I had a twelve-inch zipper installed this recent December 11th. No metasticization, thank goodness. And I was too allergic to the chemo to stay on it beyond the first 48 hours. Just radiation.

The total of all bills I've seen before insurance and "adjustments" has been around $20K, mas o menos without looking.