Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Houndog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
I just bought the xerox phaser color laser 8400B, usb printer only, and it doesn't print when hooked up to my airport extreme's usb printer port. It is recognized in
rendevous, and sends files to the print, then comes up "empty print file." Xexrox says call Apple (of course, blame the guy not in the room). I checked
Apple's page regarding problem but to no help. I'll try Apple, tomorrow, but was hoping for some real insight from users not sellers.
Any clues?, the driver came with printer today, I assume it's the lastest, but I'll try for a download newerone.
TIA :(

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
With an awesome printer like that, why not get an ethernet version. I have a Phaser8400DP and it works perfectly over ethernet via rondezvous.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
jimsowden said:
With an awesome printer like that, why not get an ethernet version. I have a Phaser8400DP and it works perfectly over ethernet via rondezvous.
I have the same model as you. My 8400 DP really is an awesome printer. I have no doubt that the 8400B is also a good printer, but it is explicitly not intended to be networked. You know, it is a shame that some people buy less than they need and then complain that it won't do everything they want.

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
I always thought that the purpose of the USB port on the Airport basestations was to allow non-networkable printers to be networked like the case in this thread. Not everyone wants to buy a new printer just because they want to have it networked.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
neoserver said:
I always thought that the purpose of the USB port on the Airport basestations was to allow non-networkable printers to be networked like the case in this thread. Not everyone wants to buy a new printer just because they want to have it networked.
For printers in this class, you don't get a new printer, you just swap out the print servers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.