Phasing out OS 9, Here Comes Jaguar

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by arn, Aug 1, 2002.

1. arn
    macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    MacBidouille posts that Jaguar will no longer contain OS 9 install CD's.

Meanwhile, anecdotal reports from MWNY indicate that Steve Jobs hinted that next year's Macs would not support booting into OS 9. (Classic would presumibly remain supported). Previous rumors had also indicated that the new motherboards would not boot OS 9.

Jaguar is nearing Gold Master... which is aimed at Friday per ThinkSecret, despite unsubstantiated reports of 6C115, in fact, being the Gold Master.
  2. macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2002
    not surprising

I haven't booted into OS9 since like February or March, and that was to play UT for a 1/2 hour =]
  3. macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2002
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    After i installed 10.1.2 i never looked back..that was in Feb and i havent used 9 once since.:D
  4. macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    New Zealand
    Booted in January and glad I did. The only people I can understand not having OS X is because they can't run it, or they paid good money for software and want to continue using it.

Goodbye OS 9
  5. macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2001
    moomin valley

i boot into os9 every day because i cant do my job without it.

apple? hello? can we have emagic back please? or at least the OSX version of Logic they were just about to release?

so much for buying the original OS 10... turned out to be a right waste of money seeing as pro audio apps seem to be waiting for improvements promised in Core Audio with 10.2.

upgrade my arse. its an expensive update for me.
  6. macrumors 6502

May 18, 2001
    I think the reason behind Apple buying Emagic was to get Logic to OS X. Now that Jaguar is (almost) finished, Emagic can release their OS X version of Logic because Jaguar now fully supports MIDI and pro audio. I think Steinberg will follow shortly with Cubase.
  7. macrumors newbie

Jul 24, 2002
    the Hague, Netherlands
    got some hardware which isn't supported by OSX... TV-in card, scanner...

and some nice software... but have to boot OS-9 to use it...

so I guess I ll have to get a new 17'' imac... then I won't have to swith OS-es all the time.... My B&W booting OS-9, the 17''imac booting OS-X..

that should do..
  8. macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2001
    New motherboards would or CANNOT boot into OS9? Which is it?
    If they cannot boot into OS9 that would be very very very sad.
    I still need OS9 and a faster G4. Geesh c'mon apple.......
    Is this 1 of your new "bright" moves? just pissing off people. bah
  9. macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2002
    I appreciate the frustration of people who still need 9. I am one of them, but apple has got to commit to the new direction, and people need a little incouragement. 10 has been around for a while, and I think apple has been very thoughtful with their program of change. Who cares if you can't boot in 9, you will still be able to run classic in 10, and from what I am picking up regarding jaguar, there should be a speed increase in classic.

I am desperate to buy some new hardware and will be asking work to upgrade all the apps to OSX versions. It is a little annoying to have to fork out more money to stay with apple, but can you imagine a future with OS9. OS9 was going nowhere fast. We are seeing the future, and it will be worth the teething period.

Just my thoughts.....
  10. macrumors 6502

Dec 28, 2001
    does anyone know when logic or cubase might be released for osx?
  11. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2002

For the people who need to boot into OS9, wait for the prices of refurbished dual processor 1ghz towers to come down and stay with OSX.1.5 and 9.2.2. These machines aren't fast enough to get your work done until all of your software is OSX native? Are you losing money now? I guess I'm missing the point of all this.
  12. macrumors 65816

Apr 14, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    i only use classic for my canoscan n1220u which still doesnt have drivers I think...
  13. macrumors regular

May 30, 2002
    putting on my asbestos suit...

I just started rebooting into OS 9 for VirtualPC. I have one of the new 700MHz iBooks and it runs vpc 4.x great (I maxed out RAM, natch).

Why vpc 4? Because my company hasn't upgraded to OS X and thus all the software is for 9 (only the design dpeartment use macs). I'm running vpc to learn about *gasp* .NET and since the only classic/9 apps I use are vpc and Outlook 2001, I'm wondering if it's worth getting vpc 5 and just axeing my 9 partition.

As a mac newbie, can I get rid of 9 but run classic apps? I know classic emulates 9, but is it just emulating it w/in OS X, or is it running a virtual machine such that if I delete 9, I've just deleted classic? Would vpc 5 run acceptably on a 700 iBook? I've heard it's pretty awful under OS X. Any thoughts/help would be greatly appreciated.

14. macrumors member

Jan 15, 2002
    Paris France
    canon n1220u

go to " " and download VueScan V.7.5.40.
    he's ok for your scan.
  15. macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
  16. macrumors member

Aug 9, 2001
    There are drivers now for plugins in photoshop or image converter. check out canon web site.
  17. macrumors member

Aug 9, 2001
    Ok slightly off Topic, but does any one know how well the sony ericsson phones work with 10.2? what can you do, edit number etc.....?

Plus I've been using OS 10 since .1, can't go back now, when I have I've crashed my mac trying to multi-task. (forgeting I'm is 9)
  18. macrumors 65816

Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    If you need to construct a modem script to work with your cell phone or modem you can copy the AT&F string from the Mac OS 9 modem script to a copy of a Mac OS X modem script and be sure the file type and creator are set to ???? ????. If you have difficulty doing this, E-mail me.

If you have scanners that aren't supported by Mac OS X, many will be supported by Jaguar as it has built-in TWAIN support.
    Additionally lots of scanners are supported by the non-crippleware shareware Vuescan by

I list under my Apple links for Mac OS X scanners, cameras, and printers that links to what peripherals Apple says are compatible with Mac OS X on

As for Mac OS 9 not being bundled with Jaguar, that is not just a rumor anymore, as a helper on Apple's discussions boards I have direct contact to their moderators and they say that Mac OS 9 currently is not designated to be bundled with Jaguar. Of course if you give Apple enough feedback here maybe you can get it to be bundled:
  19. macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    Re: not surprising

You must not own a SCanner :)

20. macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    There were drivers for the N1240U, because I have them.

There was first a beta set, which worked fine, then an 'apparantly' release version I got from a non-US server.

They work fine too. I think the version is 6.5.5 or something like that.

I heard they have taken them down (I bet this is a pre-cursor to 10.2 being released).

I'm sure you can still find them. I think the set covered several scanners, including the 1220U, 670U, and 1240U.

It's a standard TWAIN plug-in.

The installation is bizarre, at best. When installed, all it really does is dump a bunch of files into a folder. When you run the setup program, YOU have to first set it up with the folders you want the TWAIN driver installed into (besides the system TWAIN folder). I copied it to my Canvas 8 and GraphicConverter plug-in's folders, and both use the scanner perfectly.

It needs serious cleaning up, but they DO work.

If you need them, give me your email address and I'll send them to you.

I do believe you can find them on VersionTracker though.

21. macrumors regular

Feb 21, 2002
    Re: putting on my asbestos suit...

MacOS 9 is NOT emulated at any time. When you boot into classic, you are booting a true copy of MacOS 9 that has been 'glued' into MacOS X, so to speak, so it runs in a Window.

Yes, you have to keep the MacOS 9 System Folder and structure because that is what is actually being booted.

22. macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2002
    please help a know-nothing...

I'm within weeks of replacing a Rev C iMac with a couple of eMacs. I was hoping to wait until Jaguar came out so the machines would come with it installed.

I read this about not being able to boot into OS 9 and I get nervous -- does this mean that the pile of kids' software we've been running on the Blueberry iMac won't work anymore?

If that's the case, it's a dealbreaker. Will someone please tell me whether Reader Rabbit is going to have to get a Dell?
  23. arn
    thread starter macrumors god

Staff Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Re: please help a know-nothing...

All present shipping Macs boot OS 9 with the exception of the XServe.

The eMac (and all current Macs) will boot OS 9 until you hear something otherwise. And from what I understand all current machines still _ship with_ Mac OS 9. Jaguar itself, however, appears like it will NOT. so, nothing's changed for you.

24. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    Manitoba, Canada
    Kids games on OS X

In regards to the kids games...

They will not kill classic with Jaguar... so you should be able to run those games... also, what versions do you have? because the latest versions of most kid games are OS X compatible including Reader Rabbit. :D
  25. macrumors newbie

Jul 16, 2002
    Manitoba, Canada
    Re: Re: putting on my asbestos suit...

They will not kill classic with Jaguar... so you should be able to run those games... also, what versions do you have? because the latest versions of most kid games are OS X compatible including Reader Rabbit. :D