Phil Schiller to deliver Paris Keynote

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Zaty, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Zaty macrumors 65816

According to German online news "Macnews.de", Phil Schiller will deliver the keynote at Paris Expo. They say Apple confirmed that Steve Jobs wasn't going to Paris.

Link (in German):

http://www.macnews.de/news/54678

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Jigga wha!? :confused:

:(

(maybe there's nothing significant coming up....)

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

2 Stunden zu spät

I read it first "mein Freund" :p Here...

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

is this true ? has apple said this?

Paris Expo here i come

6. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

i might just happen to be in paris that day..and i might just happen to have a pass.....

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i think that the expo will be one of apple high's of the year .. i'm thinking back to macworld keynote when steve said this will be one hell of a year and they had more to come ! well lots have come but Paris has to be the ONLY chance they have at really getting us Mac users excited. If Steve can't be there thats not too bad , best wishes to him . But it will be one kick ass expo though - iMac G5 , VPC 7.0 .Mac updates? maybe a iPod Mini Update too , but i'm still thinking what the " Just one more thing is? " if any one fancys meeting up in Paris for a chin wagg and a drink PM me and we will sort something out.

Tom

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well I'm not expecting more than the predictable, which is actually quite a bit. A new iMac with the crap video card, VPC 7, and I'm sure there will be several new things. Another tidbit about Tiger, maybe? Hmmm....the only thing that would interest me is if the whole hanging iMac story has anything to do with the Apple tablet controller for AirTunes story. Maybe they're all interconnected, and that's really the only thing I want to know from the Keynote. Well, that and how the new iMac will look like. Sure, it won't be any good spec-wise, but the looks is always what gets the attention anyway.

9. rareflares macrumors regular

I think this Paris Expo will be REALLY BIG

Ok, look, we know about the iMac G5...that's pretty much confirmed (*crossing fingers*).

But I'm sure Apple was originally planning to show the iMac during the WWDC keynote but couldn't because of the supply problems. This is obvious because of the precise time (one month prior to WWDC), Apple slowed down shipments of the iMac G4. Jobs went as far as to hint at it with his searches in Spotlight (Paris, birthday, iMac, half-dome, yosemite, etc.). And then the infamous message two weeks later on the Apple Store practically confirmed Apple's intentions.

The thing is, Apple probably had something else or multiple things up it's sleeves for Paris when they originally thought that the iMac G5 would be keynoted at WWDC.

So let's try to figure it out....can't be Tiger, can't be iPods, def. not PowerMacs, iBooks and Powerbooks are iffy since they were updated in late April (130 days prior to Paris expo), same with the eMac (137 days prior), probably not any iLife updates, airport express has been done, maybe the Production Suite/Motion (though I'm doubting it as it's been done at NAB and WWDC conferences), etc. etc.

Things I expect are iTunes Music Store in Europe, perhaps iPod Mini international orders, and..........ummmmm.......20th anniversary Mac? ummm...... PowerCube G5? ummmm....... iPancreas to fight Cancer?

We know that with the 10.3.5 update that Apple has listed some interesting products....

/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC4PE.kext/Content/Info.plist

<key>IOPlatformPluginTable</key>
    <dict>
    <key>PowerBook7,1</key>
    <string>SMU_Neo2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerBook7,2</key>
    <key>PowerMac7,2</key>
    <string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerMac7,3</key>
    <string>PowerMac7_2_PlatformPlugin</string>
    <key>PowerMac8,1</key>
    <key>PowerMac9,1</key>
    <key>RackMac3,1</key>
    <string>RackMac3_1_PlatformPlugin</string>

Powerbook 7,1 and 7,2 indicates a revision to either Freescale G4's or PowerTune G5's as well as the AXE to one of the three models (12")..

PowerMac 8,1 is probably iMac G5 as was predicted months ago when it was listed in the 10.3.4 update (it was to be released within a month of the OS update at WWDC but never happened and we see it again in 10.3.5).

PowerMac 9,1 is most likely a professional line (since it has an odd number). Some people are saying some kind of 20th anniversary Mac, other say PowerCube, some people say a high-powered workstation or something.

RackMac 3,1? no clue but I'm sure someone here has some ideas.

Apple only adds these items if they are to be released within the timeframe of the current OS update. Paris is approximately 3 weeks after the 10.3.5 udpate. And given Apple's current trend, OS 10.3.6 will be released sometime in October/November. That means, if everything goes to plan (which doesn't have to happen as in the case of the iMac G5 and the PowerMac 2.5 Ghz), all these new items listed will be unveiled before November.

After all, as Jobs said at MWSF, this is gonna be a "great Mac year and we're gonna be announcing new products throughout the year".

I don't think we've seen that yet and Paris is gonna be the start of flood of releases.

10. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Surely they can't announce a new iMac without a reality distortion field?!? It'd have to have some crazy specs to cope without it! ;)

11. narco macrumors 65816

narco

It won't be the same without Steve, but Phil is a good replacement (if this is true). Like people have said before, since the iMac was originally supposed to come out around the same time as the displays, then maybe they were going to dedicate this expo to something entirely different. Hopefully it'll be that LED monstrosity that has been circulating around so that I can stop wondering what the hell it is.

#hand narco

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Hmm

I think that new iMacs for sure will be present at the Paris expo. But one does have to remember, even if they are presented, will they be available world wide right away? It would be sorta weired to present a product in Europe only to have it available in the U.S. first. Anyone agree with me here on this?