Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
another out of many more distractions from mr.Schiller

iOS is lagging behind Android and this is all he came up with? Malware report? it'd be much better if he concentrated on more important things (iphone, iOS, other products) than slamming competition in such lame way.

Yeah, because security and safety is for looosers...:rolleyes:

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Gotta love the smell of desperation in the morning.

----------

He's (supposedly) back from vacation, yay! Expect some great, appealing advertisements soon, everybody.

Advertising what, iComdoms with a new iOS do not disturb feature?

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
If you look at how many people actually use the OS's i'd say Apple are looking very good.

What it really means is Apple had 2 out of 301 problems
And Windows and J2ME had only one each.

Why they couldn't just express it as one and two instead of the misleading .003 and .007 is beyond me. Apparently journalists know and care little about math.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Surprise!
The more widespread OS has more malware.

Yeah, because there are 78 times more Android devices in circulation than iPhones. :rolleyes:

Get real. This report is a hideous black eye to Android, and anyone who claims otherwise is delusional.

----------

Linux is a very safe and very unsafe OS at the same time. In the hands of a skilled system administrator (or even just a skilled user), you can build a bunker. However if someone builds his own system and doesn't pay much attention to security, then it is an open door.

It is well known that Android suffers from some amount of fragmentation (not that much actually, since the majority of the user base is spread over just 3 versions). It gets worse when you take into account all the bloat ware put on the phones, since that puts the task of keeping things safe on the manufacturers.

So in the end, I'm not surprised. However it would be interesting to see some statistics for e.g. the Galaxy S3 separately, to find out whether an (almost) up to date Android phone from a flagship manufacturer is as vulnerable as a cheap outdated phone.

Fragmentation is not just a versioning thing. It's also a flavor thing. There are many flavors and implementations of Android out there, beyond the fragmentation of versions.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I still don't understand how they could make Android from Linux and mess it up so badly as far as security is concerned.

I guess this is the cost of being open platform?

You wanted an open platform, you got it.
I think this is more about open Stores, not OS platform/software itself.

But then, yes. You wanted open store, side-loading, etc....you got it.

----------

They call it World Championship yet the world is not even invited. :facepalm:
I know what you mean. But these days players come from everywhere, the teams don't have to. Dominican has had a ridiculously large percent for their country size for many decades.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
This really does smell of desperation, they copy Android a lot and now slander it.
I have been an Android user for 3 years and never had a virus, its impossible to stop idiots being idiots and downloading crap.

craftytony

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Sycamore, IL
This really does smell of desperation, they copy Android a lot and now slander it.
I have been an Android user for 3 years and never had a virus, its impossible to stop idiots being idiots and downloading crap.

I've been on this planet for 36 years, and have never been in a car accident. I guess I'm safe :)

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
The missus and I have had android phones since 2009. We also have friends and family that have android devices and not one single person has ever had a malware problem.

Its not difficult really.

- Download apps from a reliable source - Google Play, Amazon App Store etc
- Check the amount of downloads of the app and also the reviews
- Don't search online and or download pirated/cracked apps

All people need is a little common sense. I apply the same logic to downloads for my PC as I do my phone and tablet.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011

This^

Huge portion of these incidents are stupid users. I've had Android phones for 4 years and have never had an issue. I'm careful what I install.

Apple needs some hacker/virus programmer to smack them around a little, knock some humility in to their smug heads.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I've been on this planet for 36 years, and have never been in a car accident. I guess I'm safe :)

As long as you take precautions (don't drink and drive, wear a seat belt, drive to the conditions of the road e.t.c) you should remain good. :D

----------

I think this is key. We all* know the risks involved with using pirated software.

*well, perhaps not all of us, some people haven't a clue and just want stuff for free. Let them suffer I say! :D

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
As I have been saying all along Android blows iOS away
this is just another example. Look how much more malware you get
and its free. I just put my iPhone up for sale today. Good news since the resale value of the iPhone blows away Samsung phones I should be able to buy 3 or 4 with the money from my iPhone.
Also since the battery on the galaxy 3 last a good hour or two unless you shut off every feature of the phone. I can buy three of them that should last me a whole day

Just saying

This has been making me giggle stupidly since the second I read it.

hss1

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2009
Android is dominating alright!

yeh in terms of market share but that does not means it generates revenue, google make no money from the OS and get money from adverts and search related info.

Looks like even Samsung could ditch Android it has its own OS called Tizen developed with Intel launching soon because it wants the money from an ecosystem like Apple eg App store, itunes, ibook store etc so will develop a similar ecosystem to fit google-Motorola, apple

Plus Firefox are launching a OS as well, remember symbian that was the largest marketshare OS not that long ago. And look what happened,

By the way largest marketshare does not mean the best!!! look at the car industry the car companies eg ford, toyota do not make the best cars

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
I love articles written about tweets.

Shouldn't the focus be on the article and then a comment that Schiller tweeted it?

I think that why he tweeted it. With all of the supposed apple user sites that post negative after negative, you would think they would have posted this themselves. Instead to get the word out, an Apple executive had to point it out. Sad.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
The missus and I have had android phones since 2009. We also have friends and family that have android devices and not one single person has ever had a malware problem.

Its not difficult really.

- Download apps from a reliable source - Google Play, Amazon App Store etc
- Check the amount of downloads of the app and also the reviews

All people need is a little common sense. I apply the same logic to downloads for my PC as I do my phone and tablet.

But the cool thing is even stupid users or users without common sense or novice users are still safer on iOS than on androids. That says something about it, isn't it?

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
People grasping really hard at something to try and justify their purchases.

I remember throughout the last couple of years when all of my non savvy friends and family bring me their clogged and infected Android phones wanting me to remove their malware. Oh wait no I don't... because that never happens.

dontpannic

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2011
Orpington, Kent, UK

What? F-Secure copies Android a lot then slanders it?

In case you hadn't noticed - Phil Schiller has tweeted a link to an F-Secure report. Phil Schillers Twitter account does not equal Apple, and F-Secure won't even be profiteering as they don't offer an iOS package!

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
But the cool thing is even stupid users or users without common sense or novice users are still safer on iOS than on androids. That says something about it, isn't it?

Its not stupid users though. I know people that arnt very tech friendly and they only download apps from the Google Play Store and also look at reviews before hand.

Its the people that want to rip off developers by downloading pirated apps which are getting infected, and to be honest I have no sympathy for them.

You seem to be implying that ios is only used by people without common sense, who are stupid or are novices!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.