Phil Schiller

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by iGary, Apr 23, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

[​IMG]

Does anyone else wonder how this guy got so high up at Apple?

I just watched the 2005 MWSF Keynote, and his presentations are WEAK.

Just doesn't seem brainy to me - or IS it just me? :confused:

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

3. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Ballmer started at the top dude. Co-founder.

4. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Ugh. Ballmer.

*barf*

5. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I agree that his presentations are not top shelf, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is not a very capable guy. I know lots of really sharp folks who aren't great public speakers.

And if you're comparing him to Steve, well, who does a slicker job than Steve? No one can compete wth that.

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Count our blessings.

7. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Well, the dude basically is in charge of marketing for Apple...that's pretty heavy.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Agreed, and I'm not defending him so much as pointing out that bad presentation skills doesn't automatically make him a dumb@$$. Of course, considering the way Apple doesn't market Macs... :)

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Uhh, wrong. He was hired as the 24th employee of Microsoft. He's the longest serving employee at Microsoft, but definitely not a co-founder. You're probably thinking of Paul Allen, who is actually not technically with Microsoft anymore (although he still is a big shareholder).

10. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

the question you should ask is how many people in fortune 500 companies in the same position could give a better presentation than he did. My guess is some better some worse. There is more to marketing than getting on tv and pushing your product to consumers.

11. vieoray macrumors regular

i thought his keynote at the 2004 expo was good...

12. Edot macrumors 6502

Why does a speech matter?

I am sure his main job is not to put together keynotes and deliver them. He isn't a sales person. When is the last time you saw Spielberg or any other director in a movie. I am sure he does he job very well, and since he knows everything that is going on, he is in the position to give a presentation about new products.

13. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

I agree, of course he won't be anything like Steve (Jobs :D ) as his job isn't really for doing Keynotes (full ones that is), for Macworld I believe he did a good job

Anyone can easily say they would do it better but it is harder then it looks

14. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I can't help but imagine him in a plaid suit trying to sell me a second-hand Chevy when ever he is involved in a Keynote. As for Steve, I personally don't think he's that good at presenting (ducks :eek: ).

15. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I agree

To be smart at something or good does not mean that you are good at presenting what you made/did ;)

16. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

Hmmm... that's an interesting opinion. Could you give an example of somebody who you think is a good presenter? :confused:

17. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Don't hear many CEOs make speeches fortunately.
    I suppose my biggest bugbear is his repetition of phrases such as 'neat' and 'cool', granted he's lightyears a better presenter than myself. My wedding speech was so bad that I still shudder at the memory, as do others do I'd guess. :eek:

Oh James Burke is a master presenter, he of BBC Connections fame.
    Bill Hicks wouldve been amazing to watch presenting a keynote.

18. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I don't think Phil is a bad speaker at all.

I thought it was great at the '99 NY Keynote when he did his "One giant leap for wireless networking" :D

19. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

I admit he doesn't have the typical physique of a computer geek, but he is obviously intelligent. You can tell from the choice of words he uses, there are subtle distinctions used that you usually wouldn't expect except from an engineer.

20. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Steve's Keynotes are OK but...

...I think Ballmer does just fine. Great even. Better entertainment value than Steve, thats for sure.

I mean , I cant begin to tell you how I felt the first time I saw him take the stage screaming "Developers, developers, developers...!!!" He was all out of breath, and so into his presentation that he was sweating like an out of shape fat guy (for lack of a better illustration). By the time he was done chanting he had sweat stains down his back and under his arms. And the look on his face, wow. I swear it looked like he was gonna tear someone a new one. It was awe inspiring. I just sat there with my eyes wide open, taking it all in.

Steve could never pull that off. Ol' Stevie boy would rather come out and show products and tell everyone how much better there lives could be with "X" product and how easy they work, etc. Him and his stylish black turtle neck and jeans, with no sweat.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

21. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I think that he comes across as quite a likeable character. Of course he's not dumb!

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

You mean the guy that dances around to Gloria Estefan and yells developers over and over again in his sweat soaked shirt? Yeah, he's entertaining alright.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Carl Sagan. Unfortunately no longer with us.

24. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Steve I think, doesn't seem to like giving presentations.

As for Phil, he has an excuse. He pretty much takes care of all these expos that he also gives presentations at. Plus, its mentioned in a keynote that he had just arrived to give the speech from another event or whatever.

I ran an event once for my college, about 8 performances for a cultural show. I ran from place to place all day, and I had to co-MC the thing. Lets just say, I give excellent presentations... EXCELLENT, but I froze, stumbled, generally looked like an idiot because of the stress on this particular event.

25. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I always thought that it seemed like Steve was enjoying himself at all the keynotes.