Philadelphia Invites Gay Tourists in TV Ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jul 3, 2004.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

OK, This popped up on my desktop news ticker as I am going to bed, and I am too tired (and tipsy) to properly comment on it...but I do think it is amusing, and perhaps provocative for discussion. While I am dreaming of large-breasted women and what-not, metabolizing severla pitchers of Mirror Pond, comment as you will...I will return and comment upkn my return to consciousness tlater...till then.

The full artilce can be found here:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A24376-2004Jul2.html

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think it's a great move on their part. Two gay friends of mine, who I used to live with for a few months (long story, involving moving between houses and my wife and daughter needing to stay with in-laws) now live there. It's the hometown of one of them (they live right nown the street from his daughter and her family, and across from his ex-wife - another, obviously, long story). The other one, coincidentally for this topic, is a travel agent. They find the whole thing amusing. Philly's always had an active gay community - like, well, most cities - and I guess they all think that this PR by Philly is a great gesture and step forward, but that it won't much affect the gay tourism there. It's lively enough already.

But still, nice move to be accepting. Odd to target one group like that, though. Sort of like, say, Dallas saying it's a great place for fat people - or skinny ones. Or Seattle to start promoting African-American - or Asian, or Eastern European, or Portugese - tourism. Or Detroit to say it's a great place to go if you're smart, or not very smart. Or Peoria to invite people who's favorite color is blue. People are people, and it's too bad we categorize them so many different ways just so others can find some handle to use to mock them.

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I understand where you are coming from. Though as a Gay male, I understand that I am not welcomed everywhere either. What a commercial like this shows is that Philly is comfortable with its residents that a Gay couple visiting will not feel unwelcome.

One of my favorite getaways is the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. My lover and I enjoy the shopping and the Smoky's. But it is not a place that we feel comfortable being ourselves, much like we might not feel comfortable in Branson, Mo. either. So when we do want to be ourselves, we look for places that are more open to us as Gay's.

Prejudices are hard to break. Even harder when you have politicians saying that being Gay is wrong, and not supporting the idea of everyone being created equal.

Also tourism is stilling trying to rebound post 9/11, particularly in place like Philly that can be considered prime targets for the terrorists. It may sound stereotypical, but the Gay and Lesbian population does have by some accounts a higher disposable income. Not many have children to support. And with dual income relationships the Gay and Lesbian community do not get hit with the "marriage penalty" tax. So with the higher disposable income, we are prime targets to get us to spend our money.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Having lived in Philadelphia, I'm not sure how accepting people are. There is an area of about six blocks that comprises the gay area. If I remember correct, Pine to Lombard, 12th to 13th. There are a lot of nice people there along with coffee houses, bars, book and video stores, and a gym.

Hopefully, the rest of Center City Philadelphia will be just as accomodating. There are many things to do and some of the greatest food in the U.S.A. exists in the area.

It's good to see that they're working on it. :)

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Who is it who said, "All men are created equal, but some are created more equal than others?"

6. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I think it was from Animal Farm.

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, you're right. Thanks for reminding me.

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

FWIW, the actual quote was ""All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", and was supposed to be a comment on the Soviet Union.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

But seems to fit so many instances within the current Party in power IMO.

10. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Right, but I believe this is a comment on Soviet nationality policy. If I remember it right the Stalinist policy was supposed to be "All nations are equal, but some nations are more equal than others." This was supposedly to mean that those nations of the Soviet Union that had been oppressed under the Tsar would get special treatment in the new Soviet "family of nations." Orwell, as a Trotskyist and a profound critic of Stalin, used his turn of the phrase in Animal Farm to show the lie Stalin's rhetoric hid. Certainly the explosion of nationalism in places like Azerbaijan and Armenia or Chechnya doesn't show much for Stalin's legacy of "special treatment."

Sorry, just realized how far off topic this is from the original post. ;)