Philadelphia sets stage for 135 square mile hotspot.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by medea, Sep 1, 2004.

1. medea macrumors 68030

medea

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I'm moving to Philly! :eek:

You'd think that they could do that on my college campus without much difficulty.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i can indeed. :p
    i wonder if philly would be held liable for any such things. hey, that'd be good for my plans for college (penn if i can get in and afford the tuition :eek: )

6. friarbayliff macrumors regular

That's cool. Though I have a feeling that the business hurt for high-speed providers may ultimately play into the politics of the whole thing

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah but in this case it would be pointless. The whole city would have access and it would swamp a lot of the more interesting local networks.

They will still have a customer base. Businesses will need something more reliable and with a fatter pipe as will a certain percentage of users. Also people in the middle of building will need wired connections.

8. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Definately have to agree with that - I am so tired of the slow and unstable wireless connections I'm using every day... if I ever have the option I always plug in an ethernet cable...

But I sure wouldn't mind if my own city did the same as Philly... ;) What a service... :D

9. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

This is a fantastic idea. Fortunately, I am moving to Philly in 6 month, so that is beneficial to me.
    Here in Los Angeles, they are considering making certain parks WiFi, especially downtown. That way it encourages lunchers and those that nbeed a break to work outside at a park and get stuff done. Its not a bad idea considering we have decent weather (although hot) most of the time. Get us LA folks out walking and getting some air would help us all.

10. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Coming from this city of perennial losers, I'd love to see Philly do something right. It's bad enough that we elected a worthless mayor twice, even as his administration was under federal investigation, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I'll just hope it happens...

11. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Hope it can get some of that signal from the burbs.

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Man, this is nice!

I know that there is a group in the DC area planning on a limited wi-fi net near SCOTUS and the Mall.

More cities should look into this.

13. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I hope that other cities see the benefit is doing this. It would be nice in ALL neighborhoods, but it would mean some what more to the "economic" areas.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Thats frikken sweet.

I wish NYC would do something productive like that... :(

17. JRam macrumors member

JRam

That is definitely an awesome idea, cant wait until other cities follow the leader.

Although one question I have, How are other businesses dealing with it that normally charge for wireless? Companies like Borders and Starbucks that charge for T-mobile internet access can't be too happy I imagine. Are they just going about biz as usual, still charging, or have they stopped?

In my own town I find it very irritating to have stores charging for wireless access when there is another cafe offering it for free a few doors down.