Philippe Starck Microsoft Optical Mouse

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tace, Aug 17, 2004.

1. tace macrumors member

2. noel4r macrumors 6502a

very nice, i think i will get one for my iBook when it comes out in late August. too bad it's not bluetooth. maybe for my eMac instead.

3. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

I've seen both the blue and the orange ones in John Lewis in London and Southampton. I know its not the US but its a sighting of them somewhere in the world, which means that they should be out and about in the US by now if not very soon. They look cool but pretty pricey!

4. tace thread starter macrumors member

UK Price

What was the UK price? I was thinking it would be around $29.99 in the US.

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

That bastard, I can't believe he teamed up with MS! But, it does look pretty interesting, I think he could have done better tho... it looks like a cop-out compared to some of his designs. It'd be cool if Apple let him do a line of accessories, tho they'd have to be PC compatable. I guess MS does make decent mice at least. The question is, will i buy one...

paul

6. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Palad1

I just can't shake the first comment one of my friend made when he first saw that mouse out of my head.

Don't you think it looks like a specific part of female anatomy?

I'd rather see an Alesi mouse, besides, as a French person myself, Stark constantly reminds me of the french 80's... doh'

On the other hand I just love the mini logitech optical mouse (the one with only one aluminium layer cut in two halves)

Cheers,
    Palad1

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I didn't, but now I do.

Thanks a lot... I'll feel awkward using the scroll wheel now. Am I supposed to scroll quickly? Slowly? Will the mouse respond in some way to proper scrolling? God, now I can't buy it....

9. tace thread starter macrumors member

Oouch

Looking at that website, the prices for many of the optical mouse are quite a bit higher than what you would find in places like Microcenter or Compusa in the US. I imagine such a price difference might be a usual thing for some European countries.

An example was the Blue MS Optical Mouse that is 26.95 dollars in US and 29.95 pounds, there.

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Welcome to rip off Britain! :p

Why do you think so many Brits spend so much time shopping when we visit the US on holiday! :rolleyes: Ah... 3 weeks to the Apple Store in SF and a new iPod, Airport Express.

11. tace thread starter macrumors member

LOL

Now if there was only a way to bring back gas from US. That's petrol for you, I think. :)

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Now we need a Bluetooth version...

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Cube in a Museum of Modern Art? And isn't it complete with an Apple Pro Mouse? So in reality this would be the Second Museum-Quality Mouse? I wonder if this claim MS is putting forth will get a lot of scrutiny like Apple's fastest PC claim?

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm not sure if the cube in MoMA is just a cube, or a cube with display, keyboard, mouse, speakers. But it's there. Anyway, Stark does use organic shapes in most of his designs, and, particularly since his wife gave birth, he has drawn from the female anatomy for shape. So, it's really quite possible that it's modeled after a body part...

paul

14. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Actually when i saw it in Southampton I'm pretty sure it was £49. I might be wrong but I don't remember it being that cheap. I think that John Lewis aren't that reasonable, they generally charge full rrp. Hell i saw a mouse i paid £27 on amazon for £49 in there. But they usually have a good stock in all the time and plus i love to walk around and get lost in there!

15. garybUK Guest

garybUK

I have seen them in john lewis in cheadle and they were £40 but they were in stock.

I wish we could bring some petrol in the from US 80p a litre, i usually fill my tank up and it costs me £35 (thats $50.75)!!

16. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I don't want one... I mean no offense, but when I'm working I need to keep my mind on the job, not on suggestive shapes of computer mice.

I'll stick with Logitech MX mice.

17. Lacke macrumors newbie

In Borås, Sweden I have found the Starck mouse for 399 Swedish crowns, approx. $53 USD or £29 (399 SEK is with 25% VAT included).

But have anyone here tried/bought the Starck mouse yet?

18. davegoody macrumors 6502

davegoody

Starck Mouse is great

I purchased my (Blue) Starck Mouse on Ebay (Brand New) in the UK - got it next day for £24.50. It is great, though is slightly bigger than it appears to be in the advertising materials. The Mouse is Plastic, though the plastics are nice quality - Selfridges in Birmingham UK as them in stock (Gultronics I believe) and costs £39.95 so I got a bit of a bargain.

Go for it - other than size, it is the mouse that Apple should have supplied in the first place.

19. MemphisSoulStew macrumors regular

I just bought a blue one today from PC World for £29.95, and they had orange models for £24.95. I'm very happy with it - it's a comfortable shape, it tracks well, and the buttons have a nice light action. It'll take a while to get used to having two buttons but I hardly ever used control+click with my Apple mouse anyway. The scroll wheel is excellent and I like the 'notchy' feel as it turns. I wouldn't have paid £40 for one, but just under £30 is the right price. The cable is very long so I've got a few extra feet of cable dangling behind my desk.

Overall, a thumbs up!

20. Gee macrumors 65816

I used one today at work and thought that the buttons, and the whole feel of the mouse, was way too flimsy. The buttons clicked really easily, and accidentally, and overall I thought it felt like cheap crap. The plastic looks a lot more plastic than it does in the photos as well. Overall, not impressed at all, and certainly not at that price.

21. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Well, too bad. It probably was a nice design until Microsoft got a hold of it. Too bad Starck didn't do it for Apple instead. It might have turned out . . .