Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today announced its first HomeKit-enabled product, debuting the Hue Bridge 2.0, an updated version of its original Hue Bridge. With the Hue Bridge 2.0, its line of Philips Hue lights are able to work with Apple's home automation platform, allowing all existing and future Hue bulbs to be controlled with Siri voice commands.

Commands like "Turn lights red" can be used for specific colors, while commands like "Set the lamp to 30 percent" can be used for dimming. Lighting scenes that have long been available in the Philips Hue app can now be turned on using Siri. With HomeKit integration, an entire household of lights can be manipulated with a single command.

philipshue1-800x533.jpg

While most HomeKit apps support other HomeKit products, the Hue app will work differently. It can be used to control the Hue line of lights and set up light-specific scenes, but it is not able to incorporate other HomeKit products. Hue lighting scenes will be made available in other HomeKit apps, however, so it is possible to group the Hue lights with other products, using one command to do things like unlock a door and turn on the lights at the same time.

philipshue2-800x533.jpg
"Lighting is the most accessible aspect of the connected home, and as the lighting expert for the Internet of Things we are taking connected lighting to the next phase," said Eric Rondolat, Chief Executive Officer at Philips Lighting. "By integrating Philips Hue with Apple HomeKit, we are broadening people's experience of light beyond what has been previously possible, providing seamless interoperability with other connected home devices."
The new Hue Bridge 2.0 looks similar to the existing Hue Bridge, but it is square like the Apple TV rather than round. Along with the new bridge, Philips is also debuting a new set of lights. The new Hue bulbs are somewhat brighter at 800 lumens instead of 600 lumens.

The original Hue Bridge will not be updated with HomeKit compatibility as it does not have the necessary hardware, but Philips plans to continue to support it with software updates. Original Hue Bridge owners will need to purchase a Hue Bridge 2.0 to access HomeKit, but will get a discount of $20 on the product.

philipshue3-800x414.jpg

The new Hue Bridge 2.0 is priced at $60, but customers who own an existing Hue Bridge can get it for $40. The full lighting kit with new bulbs and the new bridge is priced at $200. All new Hue products are available beginning October 6 from Apple retail stores, Best Buy, and Amazon.

Article Link: Philips Announces New Hue Bulbs, Hue Bridge 2.0 With HomeKit Compatibility

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Wonder how to get the rebate for my old bridge...in Italy...

EDIT: even though i am a little disappointed that V1 won't be HomeKit enabled.....

unsaltedrhino

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Wonder how to get the rebate for my old bridge...in Italy...

EDIT: even though i am a little disappointed that V1 won't be HomeKit enabled.....

Also wondering for the UK.

EDIT:
Already own a Philips Hue bridge? From the 1st of November until the 31st of December you can buy your new bridge with a 33% discount at our Philips Hue online shop. The offer will be available in selected markets and you need to already own a bridge to redeem the discount. Click below to receive a reminder!

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
In 2015 wireless bulbs shouldn't require bridge hardware. The mere idea of these existing frustrates me. They are like power bricks—yuck! The bulbs should be designed to be popped into the light fixture whereby they would appear in the app to be setup via an ad-hock connection and via password from your mobile device connect to the network. Yes, it would require more hardware and software work on Philips part to get their bulbs to work like this, but that is their job and it is technically possible. And if the bulbs cost $5 extra to do this, so be it. It would simplify setup and ownership of these bulbs greatly, and there would be savings from the lack of fussy bridge hardware.

Last edited:

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
This will be great when the price of the lightbulbs come down even more.
No kidding. As interesting as this is, no way am I spending thousands of dollars just so I don't have to get my butt up to switch the lights throughout the house. I'm interested and have the ability to get this working but cost is still an issue.

GoldenOak

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2014
Somerset

Their Facebook page says:
Already own a Philips Hue bridge? From the 1st of November until the 31st of December you can buy your new bridge with a 33% discount at our Philips Hue online shop. The offer will be available in selected markets and you need to already own a bridge to redeem the discount. Click below to receive a reminder!
http://philips.to/1jJx6lW

Let's hope the UK is a "selected market". Their whole website is down now as they might be refreshing it...

ENduro

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Detroit, MI
Mmmphf.. Seems to work fine with my Amazon Echo right now as-is (no color changing ability yet). Not sure what the hardware is missing to receive simple commands from Siri. I like the bulbs but the fact there's still an annoying, finicky "hub" that needs to be plugged in and hardwired to my router in 2015 seems weak. I have 8 of the bulbs so although I'm complaining I still use them and am not compelled to spend 40 bucks just for Siri connectivity that SHOULD work with my existing unit, feels too much like a money grab.

Reactions: kolebee

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London

EDIT:

Er was that a Nest thermostat in that ad (8 seconds in)? Does Phillips know something we don't?

Reactions: poppe

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Definetly NOT impressed by Philips this time, i usually like their stuff and Hue is one of the product I enjoyed the most, but they way they are handling this "update" is kinda silly...

Sure some might say you are getting as discount, but reality is this V1 shoud have been HomeKit enabled from the beginning, and now we are shelling more money for just that (or are there any other new functionalities?)

The way thet are communicating with their audience...a generic facebook page with no indication of who will be able to update...and third... timing, the product is avaiable from tomorrow, yet if you want to upgrade you have to wait for november?

Not impressed, it's the first time Philips disappoint me.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Awesome to hear. I have a Hue system now and have been waiting for Home Kit integration. I have 16 of these lights and having voice control will be very nice. Now to figure out the rebate stuff.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Definetly NOT impressed by Philips this time, i usually like their stuff and Hue is one of the product I enjoyed the most, but they way they are handling this "update" is kinda silly...

Sure some might say you are getting as discount, but reality is this V1 shoud have been HomeKit enabled from the beginning, and now we are shelling more money for just that (or are there any other new functionalities?)

The way thet are communicating with their audience...a generic facebook page with no indication of who will be able to update...and third... timing, the product is avaiable from tomorrow, yet if you want to upgrade you have to wait for november?

Not impressed, it's the first time Philips disappoint me.

Philips is really good with communicating to the customer via Twitter and FaceBook. Not sure what you mean by "handling" in that respect. Also, V1 of the bridge was out long before Home Kit was ever a thing. So it's probably lacking hardware to be compatible - wouldn't surprise me.

Now, the whole November things I don't like. I want this NOW!

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Mmmphf.. Seems to work fine with my Amazon Echo right now as-is (no color changing ability yet). Not sure what the hardware is missing to receive simple commands from Siri. I like the bulbs but the fact there's still an annoying, finicky "hub" that needs to be plugged in and hardwired to my router in 2015 seems weak. I have 8 of the bulbs so although I'm complaining I still use them and am not compelled to spend 40 bucks just for Siri connectivity that SHOULD work with my existing unit, feels too much like a money grab.

I think you should read up a bit more on HomeKit and what it entails before criticising Philips for money grabbing.

Things like end to end encryption require considerable processing power and HomeKit certified chips which have been in short supply until recently. These certified chips also have a cost which you probably wouldn't want to incur in every single lightbulb when the bulbs are already expensive enough. The net result is that upgrading the bridge is the sensible way forward and at $40 with the discount is very reasonable. I doubt that Philips make much if anything on the bridge. I wouldn't be surprised if they even make a small loss on it at that price. The other thing you need to be aware of is that the bulbs talk to the bridge using a wireless communications method called Zigbee which you can read about on Wikipedia but it makes a lot of sense for this application as it operates as a mesh topology where the bridge only needs to be in range of the first bulb which in turn can relay communications to bulbs further away. In a typical house you may not get good wifi coverage from end to end of the house but you are highly likely to have a series of lightbulbs which can take advantage of the mesh topology.

deviant

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2007
In 2015 wireless bulbs shouldn't require bridge hardware. The mere idea of these existing frustrates me. They are like power bricks—yuck! The bulbs should be designed to be popped into the light fixture whereby they would appear in the app to be setup via an ad-hock connection and via password from your mobile device connect to the network. Yes, it would require more hardware and software work on Philips part to get their bulbs to work like this, but that is their job and it is technically possible. And if the bulbs cost $5 extra to do this, so be it. It would simplify setup and ownership of these bulbs greatly, and there would be savings from the lack of fussy bridge hardware.
in my understanding a bridge is needed to be able to control everything at the same time. how would you turn on/off 3 bulbs in 1 room right away?

CosmicRichy

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2015
Australia
All I can say is it's about bloody time. I've been holding off buying my first set of Hue products due to this pending announcement. I'm glad I waited now.

Just hoping for this to be released here in Australia now.

Reactions: fullauto

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
I understand the Hue v1 bridge to also work with Zigbee lights like the GE Link bulbs ($15/each). Since the Wink setup turned into a dumpster fire I will have to pick one of these Hue v2 bridges and test with those other lights and Homekit. If that works it is a win in my book.

Reactions: philipk

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Philips is really good with communicating to the customer via Twitter and FaceBook. Not sure what you mean by "handling" in that respect. Also, V1 of the bridge was out long before Home Kit was ever a thing. So it's probably lacking hardware to be compatible - wouldn't surprise me.

Now, the whole November things I don't like. I want this NOW!

For a company that big i really feel Facebook / Twitter whould be the main communication "platform" but that is just me... i Mean if Apple was to release info only on facebook we would be all screaming ;)

Philips stated multiple times that Hue would be homekit compatible (many months ago) and they jumped on the homekid wagon as soon as Apple allowed them to say so ....

Again I am just not happy with the communication... and that i have to spend 40$ (i am sure in euro it will be a lot more...but that has nothing to do with Philips but with tazes) unneeded since i am sure it is more a marketing thing than a real hardware issue (Siri on iPhone 4 comes to mind....).

Will I still buy it? Yes probably, will i still like Philips? I am not a 12 years old that will never buy stuff froma company (the Amazon thread is a good example) so sure I will as long as they make good product (and they DO!!)

Does that mean I have to be happy for the situation .... definetly not!

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
But do the light bulbs have a cool, blue tint or a YELLOW TINT!?

Umm...they are Philips hue bulbs. You can set them to literally any shade of white that you want (whether cool/blue or warm/yellow...or even a super warm orange) as well as just about any color in the rainbow.

The Hue Lux and Hue White bulbs, which you can't do that with, have a fixed color temperature in the warm white range. People only equate "LED" with "blue" because they either don't pay attention to color temperature when buying bulbs themselves and are then somehow surprised, or they think of industrial applications (e.g., most LED streetlights) where cool LEDs seem to have been established as preferred (perhaps because of their greater efficiency in terms of power consumed to lumens).

Reactions: mburkhard
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.