Philips Announces New Lightning-Equipped Speaker Docks

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 5, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Adding to the selection of Lightning accessories for the iPhone 5 and the latest iPod touch, Philips has announced four new speaker docks with built-in Lightning connectors.

There are two docking speakers, a bedroom dock with clock, as well as a music system. They should be available for purchase in time for Christmas.

[​IMG]
    Philips didn't release any pricing info, nor which retailers will carry them, but Apple's Retail and Online Stores have carried Philips docks in the past.

There is a fifth Lightning dock that Philips shows on its Flickr page, however the Philips Urban Micro System (DCM3155) goes unmentioned in the press release.

Article Link: Philips Announces New Lightning-Equipped Speaker Docks

2. macrumors regular

The look of that dock in the picture looks cool! Sort of like an old grammophone "speaker".

3. macrumors 65816

JaySoul

Make these a reasonable price and I'd definitely buy one...

4. macrumors regular

iThinkIt

If the price is good???? :cool:

5. macrumors 6502a

Love it!

6. macrumors G5

nagromme

Getting there...

I want a compact speaker dock (some still sound good) that can easily take my iPhone OR my (future) iPad.

I’ve never had one dock for both, and I really do like being able to dock a device and not fiddle with the cable at all.

The iPad-ready docks tend to be so huge!

7. macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

Incredible industrial design - but how much are these guys retailing for?

8. macrumors regular

I've got an older version of the one pictured in white. Normally found on Amazon or similar for $80. Snagged mine during one of their daily deals for $40 shipped. Perfect speaker for my desk at work.

9. macrumors G3

puckhead193

now how do these philips sound? I really like my ihome but have to use the connector which doesn't work with the speck candyshell.. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors 6502

Is anyone offering a doc with BOTH lightening and old 30 pin connectivity?

Such a device would go to the top of my buy list by having the benefit of allowing the use and charging of numerous i-stuff in my house. I have a iphone 5, but kids have a couple 30 pinners that are going to still be around for at least another two years.

11. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

Philips make some of the best value iDevice speaker docks around. They don't compete with B&W for sound quality, but they come close, and they're very well priced, especially if you wait for Amazon lightning deals during the holiday season (the RRP is not always so reasonable). Unfortunately I assume it's going to be a while before these go on sale, given that they're new. If they sell for RRP I don't recommend buying. Wait a couple months till they come down

12. macrumors newbie

Philips Lightning Docs

Here is the pricing:

DS7580 129.99
    DS3205 129.99
    DS1155 89.99

Also the Urban Micro is slated to launch first in Europe, which is why it was not included in the US release.

Hope that helps.

13. macrumors regular

I guess the price is somewhat ok then... :)

14. macrumors 68000

Thanks for posting this.

Quite reasonable actually.

15. macrumors newbie

DamonBowser

it looks good but the iphone is blocking part of the speaker...
    I'm picky with my sound technology and yes there is a difference when 1/3 of the speaker sound is being bounced off an object 4 centimeters away. :(

16. macrumors 6502a

The DS3205 and DS1155 look good!

17. macrumors 603

roland.g

Agreed. Though I'd like to see the bedroom one in black with a green clock. I wish they announced availability. They don't even list them with a coming soon on their product page, only through Flickr.

18. macrumors regular

shame airplay isn't built in too. look nice though

19. macrumors 6502a

Yep, availability and pricing needed.

I swear that by the time half of the promised iPhone 5 docks come out we'll already have the iPhone 6!

20. macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe....

Philips can make a decent/affordable set of speakers with nice bass response, not only for me, but for the disgruntled iMac/mac Mini 2012 buyers:)

:):apple:

21. macrumors newbie

Lightning Dock with downward compatibility: JBL On Beat Micro - already shipping

@Scott: Dock with Lightning connector on top (for iP5) and USB with iAP on the back (to charge and playback music from 30 pin devices): JBL On Beat Micro. Already shipping for 99 USD / EUR.

22. macrumors 68030

macs4nw

Yeah, but almost certainly with the same 'Lightning' connector. APPLE aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by changing their dock-connector again after just ONE generation of iDevices. Lightning is a pretty sophisticated standard that we'll probably have for quite a while. But to your point, maybe another good reason to not instantly jump on new technology, and let the accessory manufacturers catch up a bit.

For a company that keeps a relatively low profile in the US, they have come up with some pretty interesting products over the years; maybe a bit of that European 'Flair'.

23. macrumors 68030

I doubt that the speaker is actually the shape of the whole baffle. There are probably only two smallish speakers on either side of the phone.

24. macrumors 68030

zorinlynx

Anyone know if these products will work with a case on the phone?

Most cases cause the lightning connector to be recessed. This was a big problem with many old style dock accessories, though some (like the iHome alarm clocks) made the connector long enough to work with a case on the phone.

It would be nice if lightning accessory makers did this too.

25. macrumors 68000

Anybody know where these are available?