Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adding to the selection of Lightning accessories for the iPhone 5 and the latest iPod touch, Philips has announced four new speaker docks with built-in Lightning connectors.

There are two docking speakers, a bedroom dock with clock, as well as a music system. They should be available for purchase in time for Christmas.

philipsthing.jpg
Philips Lifestyle Music System (DCM2067) - an elegant and slim design that looks good in any modern interior. As well as charging and playing music from Lightning enabled devices through its retractable Lightning dock; the system also includes a CD player and FM radio. Even with its slender footprint, the system delivers 20W RMS power to provide a great sound performance.

Philips Portable Docking Speaker (DS7580) - slim and compact enough to fit in your bag, it features Philips' wOOx technology that provides a rich and deep bass. Precise tuning between the speaker drivers ensures a smooth transition between low- to mid- and high-frequencies. With a built-in battery that lasts for approximately eight hours you can enjoy your music anywhere.

Philips Room to Room Docking Speaker (DS3205) - incorporates high-quality neodymium speakers, which are great for better bass response and a pure balanced sound quality.

Philips Bedroom Docking Speaker (DS1155) - has a 360-degree design, providing rich omnidirectional sound to fill your bedroom. The clock display of the docking speaker automatically synchronizes with the clock of your Apple device, and the speaker also includes a USB port at the back of the speaker allowing users to easily charge a second mobile device.
Philips didn't release any pricing info, nor which retailers will carry them, but Apple's Retail and Online Stores have carried Philips docks in the past.

There is a fifth Lightning dock that Philips shows on its Flickr page, however the Philips Urban Micro System (DCM3155) goes unmentioned in the press release.

Article Link: Philips Announces New Lightning-Equipped Speaker Docks

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Getting there...

I want a compact speaker dock (some still sound good) that can easily take my iPhone OR my (future) iPad.

I’ve never had one dock for both, and I really do like being able to dock a device and not fiddle with the cable at all.

The iPad-ready docks tend to be so huge!

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
I've got an older version of the one pictured in white. Normally found on Amazon or similar for $80. Snagged mine during one of their daily deals for $40 shipped. Perfect speaker for my desk at work.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
now how do these philips sound? I really like my ihome but have to use the connector which doesn't work with the speck candyshell.. :rolleyes:

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Is anyone offering a doc with BOTH lightening and old 30 pin connectivity?

Such a device would go to the top of my buy list by having the benefit of allowing the use and charging of numerous i-stuff in my house. I have a iphone 5, but kids have a couple 30 pinners that are going to still be around for at least another two years.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
Philips make some of the best value iDevice speaker docks around. They don't compete with B&W for sound quality, but they come close, and they're very well priced, especially if you wait for Amazon lightning deals during the holiday season (the RRP is not always so reasonable). Unfortunately I assume it's going to be a while before these go on sale, given that they're new. If they sell for RRP I don't recommend buying. Wait a couple months till they come down

Lindsayw17

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Philips Lightning Docs

Here is the pricing:

DS7580 129.99
DS3205 129.99
DS1155 89.99

Also the Urban Micro is slated to launch first in Europe, which is why it was not included in the US release.

Hope that helps.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Here is the pricing:

DS7580 129.99
DS3205 129.99
DS1155 89.99

Also the Urban Micro is slated to launch first in Europe, which is why it was not included in the US release.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for posting this.

Quite reasonable actually.

DamonBowser

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
it looks good but the iphone is blocking part of the speaker...
I'm picky with my sound technology and yes there is a difference when 1/3 of the speaker sound is being bounced off an object 4 centimeters away. :(

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
The DS3205 and DS1155 look good!

Agreed. Though I'd like to see the bedroom one in black with a green clock. I wish they announced availability. They don't even list them with a coming soon on their product page, only through Flickr.

Westyfield2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Bath, UK.
Yep, availability and pricing needed.

I swear that by the time half of the promised iPhone 5 docks come out we'll already have the iPhone 6!

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe....

Philips can make a decent/affordable set of speakers with nice bass response, not only for me, but for the disgruntled iMac/mac Mini 2012 buyers:)

:):apple:

InsiderX

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Lightning Dock with downward compatibility: JBL On Beat Micro - already shipping

Is anyone offering a doc with BOTH lightening and old 30 pin connectivity?

Such a device would go to the top of my buy list by having the benefit of allowing the use and charging of numerous i-stuff in my house. I have a iphone 5, but kids have a couple 30 pinners that are going to still be around for at least another two years.

@Scott: Dock with Lightning connector on top (for iP5) and USB with iAP on the back (to charge and playback music from 30 pin devices): JBL On Beat Micro. Already shipping for 99 USD / EUR.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Yep, availability and pricing needed. I swear that by the time half of the promised iPhone 5 docks come out we'll already have the iPhone 6!

Yeah, but almost certainly with the same 'Lightning' connector. APPLE aren't going to shoot themselves in the foot by changing their dock-connector again after just ONE generation of iDevices. Lightning is a pretty sophisticated standard that we'll probably have for quite a while. But to your point, maybe another good reason to not instantly jump on new technology, and let the accessory manufacturers catch up a bit.

For a company that keeps a relatively low profile in the US, they have come up with some pretty interesting products over the years; maybe a bit of that European 'Flair'.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
it looks good but the iphone is blocking part of the speaker...
I'm picky with my sound technology and yes there is a difference when 1/3 of the speaker sound is being bounced off an object 4 centimeters away. :(

I doubt that the speaker is actually the shape of the whole baffle. There are probably only two smallish speakers on either side of the phone.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Anyone know if these products will work with a case on the phone?

Most cases cause the lightning connector to be recessed. This was a big problem with many old style dock accessories, though some (like the iHome alarm clocks) made the connector long enough to work with a case on the phone.

It would be nice if lightning accessory makers did this too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.