Phillips and Rendevous

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Sep 10, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    From ZDnet UK :
    Looks like Apple has been reading up on the AVS Forum.:p

Seriously, this is very good for Apple. Some makers (Mistubishi, for one) have already put Firewire ports on their HDTVs and set-top-boxes and Sonicblue already has an ethernet port on their DVR and I think Tivo's next revision will also have one. This could be used in direct competition with Microsoft's XP Media Center Edition (which will likely die a quick and painless death, read the article+ the talkbacks)

Apple could again one-up M$ by doing it right. If you read the HTPC section of the AVS Forum regularly, you will notice that there is a demand for this sort of thing. Granted it's a niche market now, but with more people getting into diguital media, it's going to grow. They're really taking this digital hub thing seriously.:)
  2. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2002
    Highlands Ranch
    I cant wait for some of this new stuff, I would like to see a stereo with rendevous that can take your playlists from your mac and you can play them from the stereo,that would be tight, I cant wait for some more rendevous stuff. The printer sharing is awesome already!
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I know what you mean... this sounds so cool....... I just hope that all the other manufacturers get in on the gig too....... :)
  4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    "I" don't favor Wireless

It's too slow.

Give me Rendezvous to Philips Gear running over Phoneline with HPNA 3.0.

That way every room with a phonejack can access the network and A/V system.

I don't need no stinking Tumor causing Radio Waves making me sterile LOL
  5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    Re: "I" don't favor Wireless

anyone who prefers HPNA over ANYTHING else in the networking world is smoking something strong as HELL.

i've said it before, i dont even trust my phone lines to run my PHONE, much less a robust network.