Phillips and Rendevous

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vniow, Sep 10, 2002.

1. vniow macrumors G4

From ZDnet UK :
    Looks like Apple has been reading up on the AVS Forum.:p

Seriously, this is very good for Apple. Some makers (Mistubishi, for one) have already put Firewire ports on their HDTVs and set-top-boxes and Sonicblue already has an ethernet port on their DVR and I think Tivo's next revision will also have one. This could be used in direct competition with Microsoft's XP Media Center Edition (which will likely die a quick and painless death, read the article+ the talkbacks)

Apple could again one-up M$ by doing it right. If you read the HTPC section of the AVS Forum regularly, you will notice that there is a demand for this sort of thing. Granted it's a niche market now, but with more people getting into diguital media, it's going to grow. They're really taking this digital hub thing seriously.:)

2. swahilibill macrumors 6502

I cant wait for some of this new stuff, I would like to see a stereo with rendevous that can take your playlists from your mac and you can play them from the stereo,that would be tight, I cant wait for some more rendevous stuff. The printer sharing is awesome already!

3. iGav macrumors G3

I know what you mean... this sounds so cool....... I just hope that all the other manufacturers get in on the gig too....... :)

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

"I" don't favor Wireless

It's too slow.

Give me Rendezvous to Philips Gear running over Phoneline with HPNA 3.0.

That way every room with a phonejack can access the network and A/V system.

I don't need no stinking Tumor causing Radio Waves making me sterile LOL

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Re: "I" don't favor Wireless

anyone who prefers HPNA over ANYTHING else in the networking world is smoking something strong as HELL.

i've said it before, i dont even trust my phone lines to run my PHONE, much less a robust network.