Phillips CDD5101 Can't Play Backed-Up DVDs

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DVDwannabe, Dec 23, 2003.

1. DVDwannabe macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2003
    As the title says. I can't play backed-up DVDs in my Pioneer drive. It works in the SuperDrive. So its not that the disc is bad. Normal DVDs do play in the pioneer and so do cds. I have no idea whats wrong. Also, I have A4.2 firmware update. WTF?
  2. dew321 macrumors newbie

Dec 23, 2003
    I'm not sure what your Philips drive is, but I think I know what the problem (and solution) may be.

If the disc does mount, and all of the normal files (VIDEO_TS folder at the top level) show up, then there was probably a problem with how it was burned.

But, you still should be able play the discs. Try this: After you've put the disc in, open Apple's DVD Player, go to "File>Open VIDEO_TS Folder..." and then select the VIDEO_TS folder at the top level of the DVD. Then press Play, and it should work.

Fixing the problem in the future: If you're using Toast, make sure you choose "DVD" as the format when you burn. If you don't have Toast, you can use a freeware app called DVD Imager ( to create a burnable image file. In both cases, make sure the title of your disc is all caps (with no spaces or weird characters), and the top level contains your "VIDEO_TS" folder and an empty folder named "AUDIO_TS"

Hope this helps.