philosphical question

Discussion in 'Community' started by indifference, Jan 15, 2005.

1. indifference macrumors regular

what do you think makes people become doctors or Radiologists? I have a BS degree right now and a meeting in Radiology at the UW Medical Center. I am thinking of going there after graduation at the end of the summer. About five people have commented to me that I should become one.

-n

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Well... take a look, probably some doctors just want to become radiologist because it seem "easy" to do and the money may be good after all. Just go and get the experience yourself.

4. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Whooosh!
    Through to the keeper.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

A Radiologist is an MD that decides to specialize and do their residency in Radiology. It's definitely a specialized field with less patient contact. Most become a physician because they want to help people. Any job in the medical field, is a helping profession. Or are you thinking about becoming a Radiology Technologist?

6. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I can't decide but I"ve had 10 people coment to me that I should be a doctor or Radiologist. I have an interview there in two weeks. If I become an employee I can take classes at discounts too. What is a BSc? I have a BS bachlor of science.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Bachelor of Science is usually shortened to BSc, whereas BS requires no qualification whatever.

8. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

A The Evergreen State College we just get BS degrees, we don't have majors. But I have 55 Upper division science credits in Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, and i have studied alternative medicine. I have also done a lot of peace work.

9. freebird macrumors member

My mom's cousin became one because the work is generally pretty easy (although if you screw up, there are bad consequences) and the pay is really good.

If you want to help the world, join Doctors without Borders or a charity organization.

10. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I have had a lot of famliy issues but the thing is, after my internship I was able to digonose the nepuwe of a doctor I worked with, I found out that his parents were getting a divorse. I asked a couple of questions in a half hour. The main ones that told me were diet, I asked, "How often do you go visit him? (The nepuwe)" The doctor "Repied once a year." The doctor had said this year the nepuwe would not eat fruit or hugh him. So I asked, "How was his diet last year?" The doctor said "fine." That told me something happened in the last year. I asked "what's happening at home?" The child was going to loose his dad. Funny, as an undergraduate I was able to help someone, that actually helped me?

What is Doctors without Borders?

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

try this,

i love google.

much easier than posting on the site :D

12. sjjordan macrumors 6502

As a current medical student, I've talked about radiology with many a people. Radiology is a very competitive field right now because it pays really well (I wish money wasn't such a key factor, but it always is) and the hours are really really nice, esentially 40hrs/week. Radiologist oncologists can make $400,000/yr at 40 hours/week. That's pretty good.

But it all isn't worth it, IMO, unless you really want to help people. For all the time you put in, the 4 years of life that disappear to studying, don't do it unless you really want to help people!

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Don't forget that since radiology doesn't require direct interaction with patients, it's one of those jobs that's being more-and-more outsourced to places like India... X-rays are being scanned in hospitals here in the US and then analyzed by radiologists based in India.

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

I suggest becoming a Radiologist, pays good, not a very physiclly demanding job, it makes you feel good that your helping people. Just do you want spend more time in school and pay the money to do so. Oh yea i almost forgot...Malpractice Insurance :) Our favorite!

Good Luck

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

My dad became a General Surgeon because he wanted to help people.

Nowadays, more people don't appreciate that and sue for malpractice, something that he has avoided but not his friends. More often than not, they aren't really at fault and it is the lawyer's fault. Now, yes, there are some legitimate cases, but overall, there is just very little respect for doctors anymore. Did you know that most children with ADHD or ADD are just a little hyper? Maybe they should lay off the Frosted Sugar Cereals. But the parent says to the doctor "No, this is what my child has, and if you do not treat him/her, I will sue you." Then the kid gets Riddelin or Adderal (not sure of the spellings of those), and then the parent ends up with a kid that just lounges around doing nothing because of the medication.

If you want to be someone that takes care of people, remember that your job is to save lives. You can't take breaks from that. Your life is going to be dedicated to helping other people, making them better, and trying not to have anyone die on you. Because being a doctor is the one profession where when, if your friends are having a bad day at their jobs, you can ask, "Did anyone die on you today?" and they can't say the same to you.

It does, of course, also allow you to take part in a number of medical jokes.....:D
    "How many surgeons does it take to change a lightbulb?"
    "None. The surgeon just does a filament transplant."

I hope you decide to pursue your career in saving people. Its like nothing else when you hear about the people who have lived because of what you did.

16. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

EJBasile
    I suggest becoming a Radiologist, pays good, not a very physiclly demanding job, it makes you feel good that your helping people. Just do you want spend more time in school and pay the money to do so. Oh yea i almost forgot...Malpractice Insurance Our favorite!

Good Luck

Actually the radiologist I worked with was in dyslexia and worked tones of hours.

A Radiologist is an MD that decides to specialize and do their residency in Radiology. It's definitely a specialized field with less patient contact. Most become a physician because they want to help people. Any job in the medical field, is a helping profession. Or are you thinking about becoming a Radiology Technologist?

I am really not sure if I want to be a Radiology Technologist.
    Actually the radiologist I worked with was in dyslexia and worked tones of hours. Actually the radiologist I worked with was in dyslexia and worked tones of hours. Actually the radiologist I worked with was in dyslexia and worked tones of hours.

I am not sure but I would like to take an MRI class with the doctor I worked with, I think it would be interesting to do when I worked there the staff said it should. A philosiphacal question is though is it possible for a society to change when it doesn't want to?

and someone tell me what is this "Doctors without Borders" organization?

17. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

ok yes yes, I did a serach on this and found it but am really tired in my senior year. can someone at least tell me more abou the org? it is easier for me that way.

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Doctors without Boarders, is an organization that helps people around the world for free.

Usually in 3rd world countries or placed that need doctors due to a natural disaster where there are not enough local doctors to help and assist all the wounded and injured that require treatment and aid.

It is basically a free passport around the wold where the organization sends you with your will. If there is a place you don't want to go, you do not have to and are not forced to.

I hope that sums up the basic idea behind it. Forgot the organization(s) pay for your food, shelter, etc... :)

It's a non-profit organization. :)

19. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

ok this sounds really cool but I don't like to travel. The thing is, when I do the planes are too load. I also discovered that I hate red eye flights over the summer when I went to a wedding in boston.

20. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

does anyone know anywhere else where I can apply besides the UW Medical Center that is doing disability research? they are doing a lot of research that I really like, but I am thinking of moving somewhere else, the housing is expencive. I would really like to do something there but I want to have options. I would like to do something where I can take classes also and go into a study so I can do it cheap. I am seriously taking your guys advise and becoming a radoilogist. That job was really neat and I loved the doctors. They were really caring too.

21. indifference thread starter macrumors regular

I think*i have decided to try and go back to the UW and stay in Seattle. I really liked the reseach they were doing. I think I also want to go into radiology. Something really strange, so I am about to graduate, I hate to post this against religious views.