Phoenix OS X Web Browser

Discussion in 'New Mac Application Announcements' started by stromie952, Nov 19, 2002.

1. macrumors regular

I was browsing the Mozilla site with a friend for an OS 9 build of Mozilla and
    looked at the Phoenix project just in case they made an OS 9 version

Lo and behold, we found someone who made a build of Phoenix for OS X!

No, it is not an official version and is not a mozdev project, but it still works.
    And actually, it works pretty well. I am posting from it right now.

Here is the link from the guy who made the build
    http://www.kmgerich.com/misc.html

Belive it or not, it actually seems faster than my latest Chimera nightly.
    It is from the latest version of Phoenix which is 0.4.

I am fairly impressed for something that was just a quick port.

Enjoy!

Here is a screen shot of it running on my machine.

2. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

w0000000t :D, i cant wait to get my mac, I'm basically in love with the Phoenix internet browser lol...the only disadvantage about me getting a mac was that I wouldnt be using Phoenix anymore..but since it's been ported..time to celebrate :D, i cant wait to try it out when i get my mac
    I posted this on a few sites i go to (some ppl might be interested to try it out)
    thanx for the news:)

3. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

I'll try it out.. tell you how it goes, but damn that's one ugly icon there....

irmongoose

4. macrumors 65816

alset

You are right! This is quite a bit faster than Chimera. I am very impressed!

Thanks for the heads up!

I move that anyone testing this browser send feedback to the author and encourage him to continue developement.

Dan

5. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Hmm.. doesn't seem to work, just says 'unexpectedly quit' every time I try to open it... I even restarted.. didn't help...

:confused:

irmongoose

6. macrumors regular

compatibility?

How does it compare to IE for OS X as far as webpage compatibility goes?

7. macrumors 6502a

Re: compatibility?

Well, since it's based on Gecko, it should render any standards compliant page just fine.

8. macrumors 6502a

Balin64

Phoenix OS 10.2 Port

Thanks very much for spreading the word!

I downloaded Phoenix and tried it for about an hour; I was impressed with its browsing toolbar: very simple yet elegant, also athe built-in Google search field... definitely looks like it could give Chimera some competition!

But, I found that it had problems remembering my toolbar favorites, they stopped working in new session... it also has a few other bugs.

i am sticking with Chimera for now, but will keep a close watch!

57 days without launching MS Internet Exploder and loving it! :D

9. macrumors member

FYI - there's already a Phoenix like browser for Mac OSX - called Chimera (you may have come across it, or not if you don't have your mac yet) - these two browsers are trying to fill the same niche, but Chimera is built with native widgets and better integration with the Mac OS.

FYI, as I say.

10. macrumors G4

sweeeeeeet

Phoenix is a kick ass browser no matter what platform you're on. I replaced Mozilla with it and haven't touched IE in months since I got it. Nothing wrong with a little competion.

11. macrumors 68040

mac15

It quits on me at start up :(

I wanted to see how it goes but :(

12. macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Same here... and no support on the page either... :(

irmongoose

13. macrumors 65816

Frobozz

Speed?

It might be faster than Chimera because it doesn't have support for technologies that Chimera renders. For example, if it has spotty or no support for Java, JavaScript, Plugins, or something of that manner then it would make it faster without actually being faster.

I would guess the final builds of Chimera and Phoenix would be very comparable in speed.

14. macrumors regular

WooooHooooooo

Well i took the chance and DL Chimera. No I am in love. Damm its sooooo much faster than Omni web and IE. I only have one problem,,,, how do i get my bookmarks for Omni Web into Chimera. I found the ones for IE but cant seem to find the Omni ones. I you guys with all your super mega smart skills can help me. Woooo Hooooo i am in love.:D :D :D :D :D :D

15. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i know that..lol a person on mr who hasnt heard of chimera must either be a n00b or living under a rock :p jk
    im just a huge fan of phoenix, but i'dd like to see chimera have lots more features similar to phoenix (skinnability, special plugins, etc)

16. macrumors 65816

I posted this browser at macnn almost a month ago, it's old news.

17. macrumors member

krhodus

Quicktime

does it have built in Quicktime support? Mozilla and Chimera both won't load mpg movies in the browser. Will Phoenix allow you to do it? That is one reason I still use IE.

--
    -G4 Cube 450mhz, Jaguar, 20 gig hd, Sony 17" CPS Trinitron monitor, pro speakers, DVD/CD drive
    -14.1" Powerbook G3 PDQ 300mhz, Jaguar, 8 gig hd, DVD, CD, 2 batteries, Zip, and Floopy Drive

18. macrumors newbie

19. macrumors 68020

howard

i tryed chimera awhile back and had two complaints first of all theres no little google search bar which i love, and also when you click on the url are it doesn't select everything...now pheonix does these but i am having trouble with the quicktime support...any ideas how to fix these? also can you skin chimera? i know it doesn't seem possible but i actually want a SIMPLER interface

20. macrumors regular

I'm using Chimera 0.6 with Jaguar and I love it. Is there a way to edit your bookmarks?

I haven't been able to figure out how to delete bookmarks I don't want.

21. macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

pilotgi:

In Chimera 0.6, it's easy to edit your bookmarks. I haven't used previous versions, so I have no idea what it's like in those. To edit your bookmarks, open your window tab (so that it shows all of your bookmarks and bookmark folders), select the one you want to edit, and click on the little blue pencil above the list. The other bottons should be self-explanatory :D

22. macrumors 6502a

ibjoshua

I wouldn't get too excited about this Phoenix build.

The guy who did the build won't have much control over its features as the Phoenix team have no intention of supporting OS X, they simply don't want to compete with Chimera.

Chimera 0.6 is excellent IMO and I would recommend anyone who does not already have it either get it and those that do, upgrade now. It now has ctrl-clickable tabs (and hyperlinks, if that is what you meant by "when you click on the url are it doesn't select everything" howard), more 'standard' features in the preferences and basically more stable than earlier builds.

I'm on a 56 dialup so i don't get the nightly builds but I'm guessing it just gets better every other day - correct me if I'm wrong all you cable/ADSL kids.

If you're having speed doubts try the macosxhints hack, it sounds promising.

from my perspective the more people using the same browser the better and I really believe we should all get in behind the Chimera team and leave Phoenix to the PC folks.

i_b_joshua

PS
    Just tried the macosxhints hack and it does seem to speed up browsing. :)

23. macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Re: WooooHooooooo

chimera certainly is the best option. you should try enabling pipelining (it made chimera even faster for me!) by adding these lines to your /library/applicationsupport/chimera/profiles/default/djxlty.slt/prefs.js file
    user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
    user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);

as far as omniweb bookmarks, i believe that they are stored in /library/applicationsupport/omniweb/bookmarks.html
    or somewhere close to that

go to the chimera preferences and paste this text into the "search page" field
    javascript:void(q=prompt('What%20is%20it%20you%20seek?','')); if(q)void(location.href='http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&q='+escape(q))
    then put the "search" icon in your toolbar. that hint is from http://www.chrisjdavis.ath.cx/
    as far as making the interface simpler, you can remove any icons from the toolbar that you want (even remove the bookmark toolbar). that same chrisjdavis site also has a hack that allows you to use the brushed metal appearance in chimera, which is about as much of a theme as is possible.

phoenix looks really cool, but it would never work for me (which is ok, because i really didn't expect it too). i'm still sticking with chimera.

24. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

the guy who ported the phoenix browser to osx is the same guy who created the popular pinstripe theme, i emailed him and he was saying that he's going to bring over the pinstripe theme to phoenix :), i cant wait..but then phoenix fans on windows will want the theme

25. macrumors regular

altivec

Apple needs an altivec enhanced browser..even chimera is slow compared to browsing in win land or os9..osx is just slow unless the app is altivec enhanced..thats what the chimera guy is doing at apple i assume..