Phone dialer for mac

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Stinkythe1, Dec 26, 2005.

1. macrumors regular

Is there such a program that I can use where I plug in a phoneline into my powerbook and I can use the program to dial the number, and I can have a conversation with someone using the built in mic and speakers?

The ones that I've seen require some kind of special phone adaptor or voip.

Surely there is a simple program out there that does this. Is there?

2. macrumors 601

mjstew33

Haven't heard of one as "plug 'n play" like that. I'll let you know if i find one...

3. macrumors regular

4. thread starter macrumors regular

5. macrumors 6502a

VanNess

6. macrumors 603

OutThere

In my experience Jon's Phone Tool has a nice interface and works quite well...worthwhile from what I've seen.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

No no no.....

Look, all those just dial the number. You still have to pick up your regular phone to talk to people. I want to use the built in mic and speakers in my powerbook to talk to people.

8. macrumors 68040

mduser63

I know you said you're not looking for a VOIP solution, but I use Skype with SkypeOut to call regular phones and it works great. $0.017 to call most places including anywhere in the US. A little more for some places, like 2.1 cents/minute to call Japan. I just use the built in mic in my PowerBook with headphones in the headphone jack to avoid feedback, and it sounds fine.

9. macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I believe built in modems cannot produce the correct frequencies for this. i looked for the exact same thing a few months ago but just gave up and bought a traditional phone.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

I was hoping to find something like this for my regular landline so I wouldn't have to lean over and pick up the phone whenever it would ring.

Sigh...

11. macrumors newbie

12. thread starter macrumors regular

That IS what I'm looking for. However,

1) It only runs on classic and I don't feel like fooling with classic.
    2) It says that it only supports modems with voice.

So.... nevermind. Tough luck for me. I could buy an external modem but I don't want this feature THAT bad.

13. macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Probably the closest you're going to get to this is Skype.

It's VOIP. You can use Skype's free program to place outbound calls and be able to use your computer's mic and speakers for the call, but they charge you for calls that terminate on regular phone company lines. But it does work, quite well actually, I've used Skype for a few long distance calls with no problems, and the sound quality was actually better than if I had placed the call normally using my regular phone carrier. They also have Skype in, which, for another fee, allows you to set up a phone number for handling incoming calls, but I never used the service. So, all in all, you can set it up so Skype behaves as if you were placing/receiving a regular phone call on your computer, and be able to use your computer's mic and speakers for the call, but it will cost you on a per call basis.

Anyway, plenty of info on Skype's website if your interested.