Phone number in iMessage

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by drewsky5, Sep 19, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I can't figure out how to add my phone number to iMessage on the iPad or on my laptop. Running 6.0 and 10.8.2, respectively. Can any one tell me what I'm missing?

2. macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

Same here... unless its automatically synced...

3. macrumors 6502a

Have a look in Settings>imessage>send & receive

4. macrumors 6502a

super tomtendo

yes, but this setting is the same as before. I'm seeing nothing different. Unless, like I said, it does it automatically.

5. macrumors 6502a

I just went through this. On your iPhone, go to settings - imessage - send and recieve, and make sure AppleID (at the top) is added/set.

Once that's done (You'll probably have to log in), set the iPad up the same, and your send/receive at from the iPhone will appear as options on the iPad (Including your phone number)

Hope this works for you. It did for me.

6. macrumors 6502

I think I had to turn off iMessage, wait a bit, then turn it back on on the iPhone before it popped up with a message on the other deivces to allow the use of the phone number on them.

7. macrumors newbie

This all happend automatically for me.

After rebooting for the OS X update I got an dialog box asking if I wanted to add my phone number to Messages. I clicked yes then the next time I unlocked my iPhone it asked me if I wanted to allow my MBA access to messages.

I havent tested to see if it works yet mind.

8. macrumors newbie

Mine just did it automatically

9. macrumors 6502

When I updated to ML 10.8.2 it just said that my number was added.

10. macrumors newbie

a4ex

i just had to sing out my apple id and sing in again and it worked:D

11. macrumors 6502a

Just got done. If you don't see your number, log out of iMessage on iOS device, and sign back up, and it will be there.

12. macrumors member

any idea if the phone number sync will allow multiple phone numbers? I have work/personal phone and ipad and would be nice if I could get messages from both phone numbers.

13. macrumors 6502a

its all linked under your apple id...so If you have both numbers linked to 1 ID you should be able to unless that was not thought of yet...ideally should work

14. macrumors member

i do have all 3 under the same appleid, guess I will find out later when I get a chance to get all 3 updated.

15. thread starter macrumors member

I've logged in and out of iMessage on all of my devices and haven't had any luck yet. My phone number is associated with my Apple ID, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

16. macrumors 6502a

iPhone must be updated to iOS6 and working.

17. macrumors member

Have you shut off iMessage on all apple devices. Turned them off, waited fifteen seconds, turned them back on, then re-enabled iMessage across the devices?

18. drewsky5, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

thread starter macrumors member

Yep, I have tried that several times. I've turned off iMessage, turned off all of my devices and left them off for several minutes, and then tried again. No luck.

EDIT: Not sure what happened, but it's working now! Thanks for the help everyone!

19. macrumors member

got them all updated and both phone numbers and all emails show up on all 3 devices.

iMessages sent to either number or the 3 emails shows up on everything. SMS texts are still limited just to the phone number they were sent to of course.

20. macrumors member

I also had to turn iMessage off on both my iPhone and iPad. Once I turned it back on, it verified and activated the use of my cell number

21. macrumors newbie

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post this in case anyone is stumbling across it as I did.

The fix for me was Messages>>Preferences >> Accounts Click sign out. Sign in.

Immediately showed my phone number and messages started coming in.