Phone number on the lock screen?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TNTN, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Jul 21, 2011
    I love that I've discovered I can 'lock screen' before I close my MacBook Air and head-off to work. It's nice to know that if I leave it on the train, someone can't get to all my data.

But I'm also aware that if someone honest was to find my lost MacBook, they wouldn't know it was mine. Is there a way of getting my phone number or email address onto the lock screen?
  2. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2011
    SFBA, CA
    You could likely edit the screen directly. In Snow Leopard it is possible to edit the image behind the login.

Muck around in there and see if any file names sound plausible. I don't have Lion yet but I'll be getting it tomorrow; I'll take a look myself.

(image from this MR post)
  3. macrumors member

Jun 20, 2009
    In Lion, you can add a custom message to the lock screen—i.e. your phone number:

Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and check the option for "Show a message when the screen is locked." Enter your text in the field to have it display on the lock screen.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 21, 2011
    Done. Thanks.
  5. macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2011
    SFBA, CA
    Good to know!
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Jul 21, 2011
    Shame, like the iPhone, you can't have the Mac automatically erase all content after a few failed password attempts.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    ...That would be horrible.
  8. macrumors 6502

May 20, 2008
    London, United Kingdom
    'Find my Mac' will, I believe, be introduced with iCloud, probably in 10.7.2, and should offer a similar feature set to 'Find my iPhone'.
  9. macrumors 65816

Don't let a lock screen give you a false sence of security. Sure some oppitiunist might get stuck but I'd say 25% of those here can get around a locked screen, and even firmware passwords.

If you really want to protect valuable data encryption is the only way.
  10. macrumors 603

Mar 20, 2007
    I agree, for portables FileVault 2 should be turned on by default...
  11. macrumors newbie

Apr 3, 2011
    Can you share how to lock screen on the Lion Air? All I can find is using the eject button and, well... you know.

12. macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2005
    You can turn on hot corners and set one to put the display to sleep.
  13. macrumors 68030

Feb 26, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Open Keychain and look in it's preferences.
    A screen lock is a click away. Or use a hot corner as others have said.

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2011
    The problem with that (imo, anyway) is that since lion, that starts your screen saver rather than just locking the screen and turning off the monitor like in SL and earlier.

A workaround is to set the computer to require a password to awake from sleep etc and then use ctrl-shift-eject to lock the screen. Incidentally, when enabling filevault, that preference is enabled with no way to disable it so then you may as well use it.