Phone system (with Asterisk)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bumfilter, Sep 17, 2004.

1. bumfilter macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Hello there!

I have a PowerMac G4 running 10.3.5 and I would like to use it and it's modem as a sort of phone system.

Asterisk seems to be the only choice for what I need but there seems to be little support for Mac users, unless you know what your doing, which I don't!

Does anyone know what hardware will work with my Mac? I have one phone and one phone line, I basically need Asterisk for a voicemail, menu system, music on hold thing (for my small business).

While I try to figure out Asterisk, I'd like some basic sort of voicemail/answering machine, that can pick up the line after say, 30 seconds, if I don't answer and take a message. I found one OSX app called CoMa but I don't like it at all. Any other recommendations?

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I cannot remember which one, but check the two newest issues of MacWorld and MacHome, as there is a complete article in one about now to do this on your Mac and reviews of the competing software. It was very informative and sounded like exactly what you need.
  3. bumfilter thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 16, 2004
    Thanks for that, you don't happen to know exactly which one it was? I'm in the UK so I can't check the nearest newsagents and the websites aren't very helpful!