Phone unlocking ban

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by j05h, Feb 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Phone unlocking ban could hit you in the wallet
    What You Can Do About the Phone Unlocking Fiasco

2. macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

3. macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Lol this stops nobody from unlocking. It's as easy to regulate as torrenting. If you're stupid with it, you'll be found out. If you're smart, nobody knows.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm really hoping the white house petition about phone unlocking gets 100,000 signatures. I posted links to the petition earlier this week but my posts were deleted. Posting links to petitions is against the rules here.

5. Guest

eric/

Could you PM it to me? I'll sign. DMCA needs to go.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Click the second link in the OP. Then on that page click the petition link.

7. Guest

eric/

signed, thanks

8. macrumors G5

gnasher729

I think you are interpreting the situation completely wrong.

Fact is that unlocking a phone yourself will be a DMCA violation. Fact is also that it is absolutely fine to want an unlocked phone. Three years ago, it was very hard to get an unlocked phone without unlocking it yourself; that's why there was a specific exemption made that you are allowed to unlock your phone yourself, even though that was a DMCA violation.

The change is that there are so many unlocked phones available that an exemption to the DMCA law isn't necessary anymore. Instead of arguing that this kind of DMCA violation should be allowed, you should request that any service provider should be required to unlock your phone for you if you demand it. Obviously since _you_ cannot legally unlock your phone yourself, but the service provider _can_ legally do it, they should be required to do so if you ask them.

9. macrumors member

33,504 more signatures needed by Feb 28

Come on, folks, make this stupid law go away and kiss it good bye.
    I only found out about it today (but I was one of the first to know that the pope will resign), and I just reduced the remaining needed signatures by one.

No fear about signing up for a petition account, it is a clean process to protect the legitimacy of petitions.

10. macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This petition would get a lot more signatures if it didn't require creating an account.

11. macrumors member

Not only this petition. Any online petition.

If, after doing just a minimal amount of research, somebody is still not creating an account, something is wrong with that person. And that is exactly the (sad) reason why such a step is necessary.