Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas

How do you guys feel about the memory management from the Galaxy Note 5? It lost by a wide margin, so it looks like the iPhone 6s Plus will be the phone to beat for a while!

Specs are important, but it looks like optimization is much more important. What's the benefit of having so much RAM if it can't be used efficiently?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I'm not a real fan of these types of "speed tests" as this not anybodies use case. It's like basing the performance of a car on how fast it can accelerate to 20mph and then stop by slamming on the brakes. The 6s pretty quick, it's going to be hard to bog down the phone using any standard app. But I do agree, software can make or break good hardware.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
I'm not a real fan of these types of "speed tests" as this not anybodies use case. It's like basing the performance of a car on how fast it can accelerate to 20mph and then stop by slamming on the brakes. The 6s pretty quick, it's going to be hard to bog down the phone using any standard app. But I do agree, software can make or break good hardware.
Your analogy is good if they were only comparing the phones' performance, but not so much for comparing the phones' memory management. The Galaxy Note 5 was able to hold its own against the iPhone 6s Plus in the first round (speed), but the second round (memory management) is what caught it by surprise.

I think the point of this particular type of speed test is that it also incorporates memory management into the picture, not just app opening speed like most other speed tests. To me, that is a much more realistic use case.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015

How do you guys feel about the memory management from the Galaxy Note 5? It lost by a wide margin, so it looks like the iPhone 6s Plus will be the phone to beat for a while!

Specs are important, but it looks like optimization is much more important. What's the benefit of having so much RAM if it can't be used efficiently?

#1. Not anywhere near a real world test
#2. I'll be enjoying VR while the iPhone 6s Plus crowd won't
#3. Simple case of a software update will solve this
#4. If got a nice Collection of SNES and N64 games playing nicely on my Note 5.
#6. I can't stand the bulkyness of the 6s Plus the Note 5 has a larger display and yet its smaller and lighter.

the 6s and 6s Plus are great but pound for pound the Note 5 is a superior device IMO.

Reactions: Tsepz

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
#6. I can't stand the bulkyness of the 6s Plus the Note 5 has a larger display and yet its smaller and lighter.

the 6s and 6s Plus are great but pound for pound the Note 5 is a superior device IMO.
Thanks for turning this into a tit-for-tat thread as if this forum needs another one. There an old saying that photographers use: "the best camera is the one you have with you" also applies to mobile phones as well. Enjoy your Note 5.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas

#1. I'd say it represents a real world test quite well because it covers both speed and memory management. Remember, they're testing speed, not features.
#2. Enjoy your VR (as you should), this thread was not posted to discuss that topic.
#3. Why hasn't Samsung fixed the same memory issue in the Galaxy S6? Looks like it's not just a "simple case" of a software update but rather losing the TouchWiz most people love to hate.
#4. I love the N64, but playing those games on a touch screen does not do them justice.
#5. Ironic that you skipped this number considering it's in your phone's name.
#6. "Bulkiness" of the iPhone 6s Plus? I think you mean bezel-size, as the iPhone 6s Plus is not bulky by any standard.

You're more than entitled to think that the Note 5 is a better product in your opinion. But as far as speed goes (and only speed), this video proves without a doubt that the iPhone 6s Plus is by far the speedier phone when you take app switching into consideration.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
#1. I'd say it represents a real world test quite well because it covers both speed and memory management. Remember, they're testing speed, not features.
#2. Enjoy your VR (as you should), this thread was not posted to discuss that topic.
#3. Why hasn't Samsung fixed the same memory issue in the Galaxy S6? Looks like it's not just a "simple case" of a software update but rather losing the TouchWiz most people love to hate.
#4. I love the N64, but playing those games on a touch screen does not do them justice.
#5. Ironic that you skipped this number considering it's in your phone's name.
#6. "Bulkiness" of the iPhone 6s Plus? I think you mean bezel-size, as the iPhone 6s Plus is not bulky by any standard.

Whoops skipped a number, ok and the N64 and SNES games work great using a PS4 Controller.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
Whoops skipped a number, ok and the N64 and SNES games work great using a PS4 Controller.
I'm sure they do, I just wouldn't want to play them on such a tiny screen when I could play them in a bigger screen. That's just my preference, if you like to game on a Note 5, then that's just your personal preference :)

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Is anybody with those Note 5s complaining about the red screen tint?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Your should get a moga pro, it works great with my emulators. Which ones do you use? I use jnes, mupen64, superretro, mame, fpse, and just started using uoYabause for my Saturn games.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle

1) when i'm multitasking between a lot of apps and are deep into them, it's a bit aggravating for me within iOS because of the longer length of time it takes than on Android. basically, it's more steps. because of the nature of navigating within iOS, regardless of hardware specs, i prefer Android.

3) if you mean the memory leak issue, that was solved in later Android. if it's how it handles apps, yeah, it still isn't as great as on the N5. same goes for power management which is more efficient on the N5 than the S6/e. but here are a couple of odd things as well: though the camera hardware and the Wolfson digital audio converter hardware is the same on both, Samsung still hasn't given the S6/e (i have both the S6e and the gf has the S6 duos) the same firmware update that provides RAW (and other Pro Mode controls) for the camera and the significantly better software for the Wolfson DAC. oh, and also no OIS + DIS in 4K mode for the S6/e like with the N5 (and 6s+). come on, Sammy!

4) i think his point was being able to do it mobile. my buddy and i always debate this. i always ask him.. how are you supposed to play on the PC on the subway or chilling at a boring party.

6) i don't quite see the bulkiness in the 6s+. the 6s+ is just a bit longer with a .2" smaller screen.

i personally have both the 6s+ and the N5 to talk smack about, loll. oh, and the better camera is the better camera i have with me. haha...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443842162.090237.jpg

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Didn't watch the video but why not load like 3 more apps until the iPhone hits its limit and see what happens. It's like these reviews always pick just the right amount of apps where the (other) phones can keep more in memory but just launch a few more and all those other phones will fall on its face.

The reason Samsung chose to limit about 6 apps is no real life user will cycle apps like this and clearing the ram will save battery life big time.

There is a reason Samsung does this and is also the reason no other phone with its specs can come close to its power life

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Honestly watching that video was really jarring and was a bizarre way to conduct a comparison... I tested my edge+ next to the 6S Plus and they were pretty equal in terms of opening apps, etc. Sometimes the iPhone was faster, sometimes the edge+ was faster. The edge+ booted quicker. As for the memory hopefully they fix it but it hasn't been a noticeable issue for me. Also why do they keep calling app switching "Multitasking", it's not multitasking, there's a difference.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Exactly.

WRT the RAM Management, it seems Samsung optimized TouchWiz to be extremely aggressive, and that is what they need to undo in a future FW Update.

I hope Samsung see this video, crap their pants and fix it :D showing an iPhone doing this vs. A 4GB Note5 will force them to fix it up.

My Note 4 holds more apps with 3GB RAM, thanks to its older TouchWiz being set to be less aggressive.

EDIT: It is quite impressive that the Note5 is so fast despite having to push a much higher res display.
But Samsung need to fix the multitasking.

Last edited:

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport

It's exactly real world test. Thats what people do.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
These tests are a crock of ******** just by having a human element clicking buttons. Not to mention not of much relevance as it's not news that Android phone manufacturers have been cramming excessive amounts of everything in their desperate desire to differentiate from other phones. While 3GB+ RAM may pay off in the future, right now it's not of much relevance and most likely just reduces battery life slightly.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
What's the benefit of having so much RAM if it can't be used efficiently?

What is efficiently? To get scores from the test or actually being able to use the ram? I know that watching icons on the screen doesnt need much from the phone... But you can do more too...

If you use many screens and have widgets, you need ram. I dont need to launch apps always to check something. I use 5 pages and all have some useful widgets:
1. Homescreen: my daily stuff, widgets (e.g. my daily schedule), notes, weather
2. Entertainment: music player, news, runtastic
3. Email and Calender (fir monthly view)
4. Social, messages...
5. Apps (folders and icons), that i use most of the time...

I have about 20 widgets running right now and made lot of customizing... Why? Well.. Why should i launch the app always or watch the same (dull) screen on every day? Doesnt your battery drain faster? Sure, the effect is about whopping 3-5% in a day.

Apps like editing/sketching need ram. I had same apps on ipad and android, some apps were limited because there wasnt ram enough to for example add more than few layers while i was able to add 2-3 times more layers on android.

Having more ram doesnt hurt, but arficially keeping the ram on minimum level means only trouble. But didnt we see that already with air and iphone6? Uhm, no, because ios wasnt yet optimized and we just needed to wait... And wait... And wait... Since 2007... And still waiting?

why more ram? So that we dont need to wait the rest of our lifes... While you were watching icons on the homescreen and running just one app at once, i was already on year 2012 running many apps at once on my android tablet and having a flowing window... I call that using the ram efficiently.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks for turning this into a tit-for-tat thread as if this forum needs another one. There an old saying that photographers use: "the best camera is the one you have with you" also applies to mobile phones as well. Enjoy your Note 5.
No...the thread starter did that when he started this whole thread. Thats is the only reason for this thread in the first place.

Reactions: grkm3

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Texas
No...the thread starter did that when he started this whole thread. Thats is the only reason for this thread in the first place.
You, again? Funny how you don't like the tit-for-tat yet you continue to tat every time!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Ok...so that video why didn't they test the S-Pen? Oh thats right....the iphone doesn't have one. So real world features and functionality.....they both win. They are both great phones and I have BOTH of them.
They both have their good points and bot have their bad points. It comes down to preference.

Reactions: bkends35

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ok...so that video why didn't they test the S-Pen? Oh thats right....the iphone doesn't have one. So real world features and functionality.....they both win. They are both great phones and I have BOTH of them.
They both have their good points and bot have their bad points. It comes down to preference.
I guess the s-pen somehow increases the performance magically. Enjoy your note 5, it's a great phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.