Phonetic for Japanese Kanji

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by panda84, Mar 19, 2007.

1. panda84 macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2007
    I'm looking for some software that will automatically give the phonetic for Japanese Kanji. Does anyone know any software does that? Because in Open Office, they don't give it automatically (as in Microsoft Office)...and i'm looking for something beside MOffice.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Can you use the Japanese IME to do this in a cocoa application like textedit? What exactly do you want? Do you want furigana or romaji displayed above the character? Do you want it replaced by the character? Would using the text-to-speech option help?
  3. panda84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 31, 2007
    i mean, when we need the phonetic for a Kanji, we only need to choose the Kanji, then the Hiragana will automatically appear above the chosen Kanji. In open office, using the Asian Phonetic Guide feature, we have to input the Hiragana phonetic by ourselves, while in the MOffice (PC version) does that automatically.

Thnks for the help.
  4. anniemc macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2010
    japanese language microsoft word with furigana problem

hi there

I have a similar problem. Only I bought my mac in japan and installed office for mac (it`s word 2004 in case ye need to know) while I was over there. My microsoft word is therefore in japanese and while that is mostly ok as i understand japanese and am familiar enough with Word features to know how to get stuff done, I can still not find where in the microsoft word menus the furigana input option is located. I have looked up ruby as it`s called sometimes but cannot find that. Can anyone with a japanese language microsoft word please help :confused: Thank you.

P.S: Also, you might say that japanese native speakers would not need furigana but that`s not necessarily true.
  5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Apr 5, 2009
    Kyoto, Japan
    First, from the hyouji (view) menu, select the shell bar menu, and then the
    kakuchou shoshiki settei (extended format settings) menu bar. That has an icon you can use to set the "rubi" for selected text. I haven't had the need to use this much, so you are on your own from here.:cool: