Phonetics in File Name

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CathC, Apr 17, 2006.

1. CathC macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of any way to use phonetic symbols in file names? Thanks for any info.

2. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Might this be what you're looking for?

http://www.floodlight.net/MacOSX/IPAKeys.shtml

Or is it a matter of already having the characters you need, but not having them behave when you try to use them in file names?

3. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

That link is dead. Or rather the "download" link on the referred page is dead.

4. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Bummer, sorry. Try this, this or this.

5. CathC thread starter macrumors newbie

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Share, please -- what were you trying to do and what was the solution? ;)

7. CathC thread starter macrumors newbie

I needed to have phonetics symbols in the actual names of pdf files. What I used was the character palette (this is 10.3.9). You turn it on via system preferences: international: input menu. Check "character palette," "U.S.," and "show input menu in menu bar."

Then click on the flag in the menu bar, select "unicode" in the upper left "view" menu and locate the symbol you need. This part took me awhile because I first clicked on "IPA Extensions" to find the character, and it wasn't there. I wound up searching the entire unicode table and finally found the two I needed.
    When you have the character you need, select the spot where you want the character to go, then in the character palette select a font (it will give you a choice), then click "insert" (or it may say "insert with font": not sure of the difference).

For example, I was able to put ð in many file names. After doing it once, you can copy and paste it into other file names.

Since this was for a CD to be included with a book, what really thrilled me was that I was able to burn a CD, open up the directory on both a Mac and a PC, and the symbols remained intact!