Photgraphy/mac-networking question...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Obsidian6, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Obsidian6 macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

So I have a new client now, a dance studio, they have asked me to do their competition team & recital pictures for next year. after observing how the people who shot this year, they had a very neat setup that i will definitely need to offer them.

they had 5 PCs dasiy-chained over ethernet, these PCs were also connected to a laptop in both shooting rooms. the photographers were shooting tethered ( which i do regularly, but not like this ). as they were shooting, the images were transferring to all 5 computers out in the lobby, and the parents were able to select which images they liked and wanted right there on the spot.

My plan was to buy 4 or 5 iBooks ( or w/e mac ) and network them in a similar manner. they don't have to be top of the line laptops or anything, but enough to handle hi-rez image viewing at a decent pace.

is there a program that can transfer images directly from the shooting source across that network?

they were using a program called PC PRO ( vague title huh? lol )

also, would ebay be my best bet to acquire said iBooks or whatever mac will work best? ( as much as i would love to buy 4 or 5 macbooks, its just not practical for me at this moment. after the job, sure thing ;) but not before )

2. Obsidian6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

id really like to know if this is possible guys,

im gonna go ask around at the apple store this evening to see if i can get any answers.

3. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If you can get something to pull the images as you shoot and put them on the first PC, iPhoto and/or a few [shell/Apple]scripts should be able to push it out across the LAN.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

the program PC Pro (and PC Event) is made by imageware systems. iwsinc.com

From a quick look, I suspect there was some other networking going on there.

But doesn't iphoto sharing on a LAN pretty much give you what you need?