Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

06Honda

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2011
I use the basic cloning function in IPHOTO on my MacBook Pro with OS SL. Any suggestions for a decent cloning app that gave give me more specifics and selective functions appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I use the basic cloning function in IPHOTO on my MacBook Pro with OS SL. Any suggestions for a decent cloning app that gave give me more specifics and selective functions appreciated. Thanks.

Paul

What's your budget?

Photoshop is the obvious option but I realise it's out of reach for a lot of people.

What are you looking to clone out?

Are you changing faces to get the best group shots?

Are you removing power lines/entire sections of the photo?

Are you removing blemishes and skin smooting?

06Honda

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Well $100 bucks would work for me. I would use it to clone out things such as branches etc on landscape shots and against a blue sky. See image where I would like to clone out the grass on the snow in this owl shot taken today. IPHOTO has this option but circles only and doesn't do a good enough job so its not noticeable that it was removed.

8413962673_528d6d2998_c.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Photoshop Elements or Pixelmator . Elements has either the same or similar clone functions as Photoshop , haven't played too much with Pixelmator , but it's cheap and worth a try .

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Definitely Photoshop, however Lightroom could also make short work out of the sample you provided. You won't be able to do major retouching in Lightroom like you can in Photoshop but it might fit your needs. You should be able to download a 30 day trial from Adobe's web site.

06Honda

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Thanks for the feedback. I will download a trial and check it out.

06Honda

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 25, 2011
i'll try that. Too bad they didn't just have brushes etc in IPHOTO. I am sure they can do it, money costs i guess.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
The tools in Photoshop are top notch. Lightroom isn't ment for heavy retouching but it does very well on tasks like you posted.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Lightroom does well at cloning.

I do think they will add content fill to the next version

Frankly I think compared to the retouch tool in Aperture it is awful however, I prefer Lightroom overall so use that for my digital files and use Aperture for my Analog scans.

Photoshop Elements looks to be your best option as it provides you with another level up from the editing tools found in iPhoto but lets you still keep all your shots organised in iPhoto.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Frankly I think compared to the retouch tool in Aperture it is awful however, I prefer Lightroom overall so use that for my digital files and use Aperture for my Analog scans.

Photoshop Elements looks to be your best option as it provides you with another level up from the editing tools found in iPhoto but lets you still keep all your shots organised in iPhoto.

I couldn't compare them. I have up on aperture when I saw te awful GUI bad raw conversions. Slow updates and terrible speed issues. ;) ill have to take your word for it.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
There's an app that was recently highlighted by one of the blogs. Snap heal or something. It was under $20 and supposedly very good. Poke around based on that.

It is snap heal. And it's $20 off at 9.99

http://www.snapheal.com/

App Store as well. Demo at the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.