Photo editing software choices

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gooney Bird, Apr 19, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2010
    Everett, WA
    Greeting fellow MacHeads, this is my first post here. :p

We have an iMac and a white MacBook, running Snow Leopard.

During my 1 to 1 classes, I find that iPhoto can't do the advanced photo editing that I did with Jasc Paintshop Pro.

I am planning to buy photo editing program soon.

What do you like and why?
  2. Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    There is Gimp (free), Pixelmator, Adobe Photoshop Elements and Adobe Photoshop and many others.

I use PS in my weekly endeavours, but only because I got it at student prices. It has a lot to offer, more than I even use, but it is simple enough to use for my needs.
  3. macrumors 68020

May 30, 2007
    Midwest USA
    I shoot RAW only and use the camera mfgr's proprietary editing software (in this case Nikon Capture NX). I also have Photoshop CS4. That's a lot more software than you need and a lot more money than you want to spend, but do consider Photoshop Elements.
  4. macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2010
    What about aperture? But yeh probably Photoshop elements will be enough for your needs
  5. macrumors regular

Sep 29, 2007
    I have Photoshop CS3 but since I have Lightroom I rarely open it. With LR I can do 95% of the editing.
    Now I would go with Lightroom and PS Elements.
  6. macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2006
    What type of photography are you going to do? With most of what I do right now I don't need photoshop for much I could get by with Lightroom or Aperture. But certain types of photography you might need PS a lot more, what are your plans?