Photo editing software....recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zagato27, Jan 2, 2004.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just got a digital camera (Fuji S5000...awesome) and want to purchase some digi photo editing software. Looking for recommendations. Last I looked Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 was available and recommended. See that it is optimized for Jaguar and I know that it would run on Panther (I'm running a G5 1.6 w/ Panther) but would really like something for Panther. Hmmm, maybe Adobe will be coming out with a new version. Oh yes, this is for home use not pro. Thanks Guys/Girls

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I use elements 2.0 on panther on a 1 ghz PB... I guess it's not "optimized," but it still runs awfully well. So that's good enough for me...

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree, Elements 2.0 works just fine - even if it's not optimized for Panther, it still does the trick quite nicely. :cool:

4. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Sounds good. Now, have you set up Elements to be your primary photo editing tool...ie are you downloading directly to it instead of iPhoto? Also, I have read where you can set it up to "send" photos via email. Right now I'm using iPhoto which is set up to send "sized" photos to Entourage for emailing. I use Mozilla for both browsing and email and would prefer to have it be the email used to send digital pics but it is not available under iPhoto. Also, can you save your digital pictures in other formats besides jpegs? Finally, got a recommendation as to where to buy Elements? Cheap of course:p Thanks

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I primarily use Elements - I only use iPhoto to import specific pictures which I want to organize into albums, such as trips, weddings, parties, etc. Everything else I leave in my Pictures folder, in multiple directories, which I can easily access with Elements to edit, touch up, etc., before I decide on importing them into iPhoto. I just download photos to my HD first before doing anything with them.

Sorry, can't help you with this one - I have never really needed to do anything like that, so I haven't looked into it...

Yep.

I don't know of any places where you can get great deals - I think every place is pretty much the same across the board, within aa few $$$ here and there. If anyone else has any recommendations on where to pick up great deals on software though, I'd love to know as well! :cool:

Hope this helps.

6. FlamDrag macrumors 6502

Agreed with the above, Elements 2.0 is very nice. I just bought it for my mother and while it's different from Photoshop, for the consumer, it's very rich. I recommend it.

If memory serves, I saw Elements on Amazon for $89 (vs $99) but that was before Christmas.

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I got Photoshop Elements 2.0 as part of a Wacom graphics tablet pack (Graphire2 consumer tablet - I like it) for £75 on Amazon.co.uk (around $120) but I have seen Photoshop Elements on its own for £50 ($80-90) in some shops. You must be able to get it for cheaper in America! (The software contains both PC and Mac versions, which is useful if you have some PCs lying around the house as well!)

As a program, I think it's a brilliant program to use and works very well on my 1GHz PB 12" running Panther. There are some simple quick fix modes but also many of the pro features that are found in Photoshop. It can deal with most file types, including Photoshop format, and works well if you want to export layers to Final Cut Express for video work as well.

I use iPhoto to import my photos because I like the way I can easily view them all, and it doesn't appear to be as slow as everyone says, and then I drag individual photos to the Photoshop Elements icon in the dock for more serious editing. In fact, you can easily set it up so that double clicking photos in iPhoto automatically opens them for editing in Photoshop Elements.

I would highly recommend Photoshop Elements 2 :)

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hmm, never thought of that, good point. I might have to change the way I do things myself, as that sounds like another good way of doing things. :cool:

9. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Hmmm, this sounds interesting. Never thought about importing to iPhoto and then exporting to Elements for work. Good tip. Thank you. Does Elements have the ability to export to various email types, specifically Mozilla. Sorry, I just don't like the Apple email, Entourage is pretty nice but I do like Mozilla the best. Same for the browser.

Anyway, getting some good feedback from everyone. Thank you all. Cheers

10. bubbamac macrumors 6502

I tried Elements for a month, and was very impressed. (www.adobe.com for a 1 month trial, it's the full version)

Amazon.com is currently offering Elements for $82, and there's a rebate program if you currently own other Adobe software, see adobe.com for details.

I'll be buying it soon, but Xmas is killing me!

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Not sure about emailing from Photoshop Elements. I've always used Mail.app and iPhoto for that. But you could always just attach the saved file (preferably JPEG format) using your preferred email program.

Elements also has a good web save feature, which gives you lots of compression settings and how they will look for web graphics. This could also be used for emailing purposes.

Another good feature about using Photoshop format to save: Mac OS X can recognise it, so you can use it for the iApps, Address Book pictures, desktop backgrounds, etc without having to save out to a separate lossy file (e.g. JPEG).

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Just played around with my Elements a bit, and can't seem to find a way to do the mail/browser thing the way you want to. It still might be able to be done, I just couldn't find it after a quick look. :)

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

A couple of questions: It does work fine on Panther? The box specifically says OSx10.1- 10. (something)_ but doesn't say the traditional "and up". I could not find anything online that says it works with even Jaguar or Panther. I hope it does cause i am thinking of buying it soon.

Second question: When you drag a photo from iPhoto is it the original size photo with all the data?

The other thing to keep in mind...everytime you save a JPG format it degrades in quality. I talked to a guy who deals specifically with training in Photoshop (he uses Elements though personally) and he said he imports everything into Elements first...saves it as a Tiff file (best quality and preserves all the data) then he edits, adjusts, etc. and he said that way if you want to use a high quality image for printing or maybe (importing into iMovie or iPhoto--> iDVD) then you have it. I don't know for sure that Tiff is supported by iPhoto or Imovie though so check this out before you take my word for it.

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes, Photoshop Elements works completely fine with Panther. I'm currently running 10.3.1 and have had no problems (waiting for broadband before upping to 10.3.2). It also works fine in 10.2.8 as I used to have Jaguar when I first got my PowerBook. There appears to be no difference between the two - no glitches with Panther or Jaguar.

When you drag the file from iPhoto you get the original file that was imported from the camera. This is what iPhoto uses. You do not lose any image quality by importing via iPhoto.

Yes, you're right. JPEG is a compressed format so you will lose quality compared with some other formats. However, your digital camera will probably store the images in JPEG format anyway. So you will have lost that information in the first stage before it has been put on the computer. iPhoto does not reduce quality as there is no conversion process - it uses the format that was transferred from the camera.

TIFFs are better quality that JPEGs because they don't have to be compressed (although you can hardly notice). If your camera can take pictures in TIFF format, then iPhoto will use this when it imports it. OS X is very good when it comes to image formats. iPhoto recognises JPEG, TIFF, PICT, BMP, Photoshop, PDF and more formats anyway.

Therefore, don't worry. Using iPhoto as a middleman does not reduce the image quality. Both iPhoto and Elements can recognise most bitmap image formats and will just read/write whatever format is used by your camera, so nothing is lost along the way.

Hope that helps.

15. niter macrumors 6502

I have several photo editors on my iBook besides iPhoto: Photoshop, Photoshop Elements 2.0, and Kodak Easy Share. On my PC, I used to use Elements and Easy Share the most. On my iBook, I use Elements for 95% of all photo editing I do. This is because I had not downloaded Easy Share until a week or two ago and this pushed me to finally get around and learn Elements better. I love it.

I have Panther and I have not found any problems with running Elements. I use iPhoto to import my images and Elements to edit the. However, I often import directly from my flash card reader and sometimes it is just easier to put them on the desktop and distribute from there. I like this latter option quite a bit because then I cull out the photos I do not want in iPhoto and the edit the ones I do prior to adding them to my collection.

16. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I just did some research and found a very useful page that reinforced what I have been told by multiple people.
    I found the following information on JPG on this web page:
    http://www.wfu.edu/~matthews/misc/jpg_vs_gif/JpgCompTest/

"Important warning to readers: loading and saving a JPG repeatedly will accumulate the small errors introduced, so that the image can seriously degrade. Working copies of images should be kept in a lossless format. When you are through with your manipulations, you may then save to JPG once, with minimal loss of quality. Also, please note that not all graphics programs do an equally effective job of JPG compression. Although there is a unique way of displaying a JPG, creating the JPG involves choices that some programs make better than others."

Now, obviously if you are only using images for web or email it probalby doesn't matter unless your camera is a 1 or 2 megapixel, but if you are printing prints at Kodak, Walmart, etc. you will want to keep this in mind. I guess this is why that guy told me to import into photo program first, then edit and save again once as JPG to print. (I usually burn all my pics to print to a CD and take to Ritz or other photo shop to print and would like to know if they can print from a tiff. that would be the best quality of course and you could do all editing in Elements...then save as Tiff with no additional loss of data and quality/color. :cool: