Photo editing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vash, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Vash macrumors newbie

Vash

Hey everyone -
    I'm investing in my PB this fall and along with it a 7.2MP Sony Cyber-shot camera. I use Adobe Photoshop extensively now with my Sony Vaio, and I was just wondering how Mac measures up in the software department comparitively to Windows. My friends use iMovie and GarageBand, but no one seems to have any experience with photo software. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks again. =)

2. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

iphoto is pretty weak IMO

photoshop on mac runs just as good if not better than on Xp or any winblows

well i have never used it on a pc but it is awesome on OSX

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

The new iPhoto is much better with more advance editing. But you can get get photoshop for the Mac.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iPhoto is good for minor amends, quick colour fixes, straightening borders, red-eye etc.

If you want to get really creative, you can get Photoshop or Photoshop Elements for the Mac. If you currently have the PC version, you can ask Adobe to swap the license to a Mac one rather than having to purchase anew.

5. efoto macrumors 68030

iPhoto proves to be a very quick and simple program for actual editting. If you plan to do anything intense like actual post-processing of the images instead of just touching them up, you would be wise to invest in Photoshop. It runs excellent on Mac. Some of the functions look different and the interface is different, but once you get used to it I much prefer it on Mac.

iPhoto 5 can now import RAW files which is a neat feature although I'm not sure if you camera can shoot RAW or not.

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

iPhoto editing is quite a burden on my 2-yr-old 12" Powerbook, but it works. My workflow on the PB involves RAW conversion using Phase One's Capture One LE software and the rest in Photoshop. Both apps run beautifully on a Mac, even more so on a new PB than my older one.

7. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

There are wuite a few small freeware apps too. Toyviewer and Seashore come to mind.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iPhoto easily covers my needs but all I ever really want/need is something that organises my photos and provides a tiny amount of editing tools. :)

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I only use iPhoto for storage, viewing, red eye touch up, quick resizing and emailing photos. It is a quick way to change the printing of a photo from 4X6 to 5X7 etc. For editing, I use Photoshop. If you are experienced at Photoshop, then you will have no problem switching to the Mac version. Another tool you might want to include is the shareware staple Graphic Converter X.

Also, as I'm sure you know, if you are working on large files you will need plenty of scratch disk space.

Woof, Woof - Dawg

10. Mr LuLu macrumors member

iPhoto's great if you're a happy snapper and they've thrown in some fairly advanced options this year but Adobe CS is the only way to go if you're into image editing.

I've got copies for both OS but it just sings on my iMac! :D

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Use iPhoto to organize and Photoshop to edit. Simple. Same way people don't edit music in iTunes. Sure iTunes has some editing capabilities, but it's not meant as an end-all. Same with iPhoto.

And I'd recommend elements as well... I'm amazed at all the capabilities in there for under 100. Unless you are of course a professional photographer then Photoshop may be the requirement here.

12. ProdigyTroyDR macrumors newbie

ProdigyTroyDR

photoshop is so much easier to use on a mac than windows! expose helps insanely, and everything seems easier to do!

i guess if you wanted to save money, elements is damn great. it just depends on what you need.