Photo Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Josephkyles, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Josephkyles macrumors regular

How is the Photo Library organized? I see Data, Modified, and Original, Which one is my iPhoto library? And is there anyway to go back to how it used to be organized by date instead of roll name/number?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not like iTunes. Everything in the iPhoto Library folder is needed to make up your iPhoto library (funnily enough). It's one of those things that is probably just ignored. Do all your photo work through the actual iPhoto app and you can't really go wrong. :)

3. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

As far as I am aware the internal management of pictures used by iPhoto cannot be altered and therefore you are best to use the iPhoto application itself rather than attempt to access the image files themselves directly via the OS X file system, not least because this has been know to really throw iPhoto itself. For example, if you need a copy of an image to edit or otherwise manipulate outside of OS X then you can drag and drop the image from iPhoto onto your desktop, Finder window or application/document that you want to use the picture in.

With respect to the folders themselves in iPhoto, they are all required by the application but as best as I can see "Data" holds thumbnail images, "Original" contains the original image files imported, and "Modified" contains any pictures that (*SHOCK*) you modified in some way, such are retouching or even just rotating.