Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

042810-IMG_0337_500.jpg

Engadget posts a single shot of what is claimed to be a prototype MacBook Air dating back to April 2010. The image comes from a source who had been shopping the images around to several tech sites last evening. The prototype device is labeled "K18".
Based on our own professional squinting ability, there are USB plugs on the left and right sides, Mini DisplayPort and an SD card reader on the left, and a power plug on the right.
The prototype unit is said to have been discovered in April 2010 and retains a 13" screen size form factor. We ran the image by iFixit's Kyle Wiens who thought the component near the top looked to be user upgradable flash, and also identified non-upgradeable SDRAM (although there may be a slot on the other side), and slightly larger battery capacity.

On Friday, Apple had been rumored to be introducing a new SSD Card storage in their upcoming MacBook Air. The new storage was described as closely resembling a "stick of RAM". It's possible this early prototype represents some of the early research done on that feature. The prototype, however, was the same size as existing MacBook Airs, so is unlikely to represent next week's launch product if the 11.6" screen-size rumors are to be believed.

Article Link: Photo of Prototype 13" MacBook Air

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Just so happy to hear about a second USB port... *tears*

Anyways, I hope this is real, it seems like a good balance. Although the other picture on Engadget suggests that it still only has 2 GB of RAM.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Where is the battery?

I really want one of these even though I probably won't get one since I have a Macbook Pro and a student budget. I think if it is significantly cheaper than the current one, this will be a major hit. The thing with the current Macbook Air is that people don't perceive it as much more than an overpriced netbook. This hopefully will be like the return of the 12 inch Powerbook.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Personally, I like the 13" size. However, an 11.6" mba would probably sell more. That is, if the price is right. Hopefully, either the 13" or the 11.6" (or both?) has 4gb ram; at least is upgradable to 4gb.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Just so happy to hear about a second USB port... *tears*

Anyways, I hope this is real, it seems like a good balance. Although other picture on Engadget suggests that it still only has 2 GB of RAM.

Amen to the second USB port. Can't wait to see the update. It's long overdue! :)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Great! Looks like it won't be thicker on one side than on the other, as the batteries seem to be dispersed a bit everywhere. I'm really curious about this solid state hard drive thing, sounds cool to me!

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

richthomas said:
looks good! hopefully there is an 11.6" model as well, but i can understrand why people would wont to go for a 13" screen only.

black hinge so a glassy display? or a metal frame like the anti-glare MBPs?

Where is the battery? …

are those four white (metal?) blocks the battery?

I think so. Not much else they could be.

qawes

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
2 USB ports FTW!

I highly doubt Apple will release a 11 inch MBA, it just isn't enough space for all those features + long lasting battery life.

SurfSpirit

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2006
Back To Mac...

I just hope this is not the only thing to show in "Back To Mac"!!! A Notebook with a inclosure battery and SSD Drive, for twice the price, how amazing, BOOOORRRRINNNGGGG!!!

JamonBull

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Australia
I'm an incredibly huge supporter of the Air line. My high end MacBook Air is seriously the best computer I have ever used. Portability is paramount for me (teacher) and the Air has been a dream come true in every way.

I'm not sure how I feel about the move to a smaller screen. 13.3" is very comfortable, any smaller and I just don't know. Maybe if they used a retina display style resolution in it, I'd feel differently. Hrmmm we'll have to wait and see. Either way, my 5 month old MacBook Air is going on eBay right now.

Couldn't be more excited about the 'Back to the Mac' media event. Very interested to see what they do with their Macs in general. Here is my Air wish list, supposing there are no big form factor changes...

1) 13.3" high res display (retina?)
2) Black bezel
3) Glass multi touch trackpad
4) New hinge system
5) Two USB ports (the tethering factor)
6) 4 gb of DDR3 ram
7) Quad core Intel processors
8) Don't know much about modern graphics processors, but a significant bump in specs would be nice
9) Flash or SSD drives standard, more HD space please
10) Infra red receiver on the back of base plus front (or bluetooth remote)

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
guys, don't get too excited, the 2nd picture on engadget shows it only got 2GB ram and current gen. of cpu. looks like it's just a redesign of the case, no spec bump.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/is-this-the-new-macbook-air/#3473899

You'll notice they suggest it is an early prototype from April this year (or earlier). It is also 13", whereas the new Air is widely rumoured to be 11.6" (or Apple have some other use for the 11.6" panels they ordered!).

So in all likelihood this a prototype of the redesigned Air and not version to be announced on the 20th. And I imagine it will have 4GB as standard, like all of the MacBook Pro range.

dEsUrU

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2010
surely one of those usb ports is a micro sim slot. no way would there be a second usb on the air (IMO). simply from a form factor factor point of view, an in built sim would be more elegant that a usb dongle.
and perhaps the touted decreased cost is because it can be purchased on contract (but perhaps not as it would probably have been leaked earlier if others had access to this outside of apple).

SiriusExcelsior

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2003
Canis Major
..It's kinda saddening that people are pleased with a "second" USB port, when current netbooks have 3 as standard (which is one more than a MacBook..)..

But unfortunately it's quite true that there is practically no space in Apple's laptops to include another port.. the inside is completely jam-packed with components.. the price you pay for thin-ness :cool:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Couldn't be more excited about the 'Back to the Mac' media event. Very interested to see what they do with their Macs in general. Here is my Air wish list, supposing there are no big form factor changes...

1) 13.3" high res display (retina?)
2) Black bezel
3) Glass multi touch trackpad
4) New hinge system
5) Two USB ports (the tethering factor)
6) 4 gb of DDR3 ram
7) Quad core Intel processors
8) Don't know much about modern graphics processors, but a significant bump in specs would be nice
9) Flash or SSD drives standard, more HD space please
10) Infra red receiver on the back of base plus front (or bluetooth remote)

Dream on

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
SSD like a stick of ram, as in the older Asus netbooks? It will be a core2duo, only 2GB, way too expensive but we will all love it and buy it :)

Ape_Man

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
On the 11 inch display.

I think that Apple moving towards such a relatively small display hints at resolution independence.

I just don't think they would release anything with a 1280 pixel wide display.

My guess would be an 'almost' retina display.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.