Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
I just Google'd Great Falls Paterson - and to my amazement, it's in NJ. Jokes about that state aside, I wasn't aware it possessed features like that.

On Wikipedia I found this picture - I'm not a photo person - but part of me feels this could have been beautiful with less post-processing.

Also, for those that have been there in person - is that a house at the top of the falls???

p.s. Sorry for derailing - I will drop a picture from today in here, once I take one... ;)

Attachments

• Picture 14.png
    Picture 14.png
    790 KB · Views: 236

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Last weekend while shooting pictures in NYC leading up to and through Hurricane Irene, we were returning towards the end of the day with Irene fast approaching and the subway lines about to be closed. In the subway we came upon this movie poster and thought of doing a long exposure to create a ghost image. After taking this picture a transit cop came by and was nice enough not to give us grief about using a tripod w/o a permit and to warn us that the gates were about to be closed and the last train was due in any second. Needless to say we grabbed our equipment and hauled A and got on the train just in time. I had no chance to look at the picture until afterwards. Here is my hurried result.

chinatown16142011082709.jpg

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
This kind of light - from below - is usually found in horror films, but somehow it flatters this kid's young features rather than making them scary. The skin-tones almost look like CGI, with reds reflected from the clothing, and wide eyes with catch-lights. I'd be tempted to crop heavily from bottom and right, to focus in on his expression...

Thanks for the comments, Doylem. As far as the crop goes, as a stand-alone image your suggestion would probably be effective because it's not easy to tell what's going on around him. But as part of this series, I like how what I have shows him with the crowd and gives it some context.

Another parade from the Moriones Festival, Marinduque, Philippines.

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
Thanks for the comments, Doylem. As far as the crop goes, as a stand-alone image your suggestion would probably be effective because it's not easy to tell what's going on around him. But as part of this series, I like how what I have shows him with the crowd and gives it some context.

Another parade from the Moriones Festival, Marinduque, Philippines.

Otter, very nice photo I love the colors and the way the heads of the ladies in the background are all lined up with the main, in focus subject. Did you select the shutter speed priority because it gave you the f 4 setting and therefore created the bokeh effect? Just curious for my own education how you set up this shot.

appie57

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2006
Netherlands
I knew I was looking for trouble taking pictures indoors, poor neon lights, explosive movements, no flash, but some pictures came out better than expected for a first time. Wish I could change the background though.
badminton 001.jpg

D7000, 50 mm 1.4G, ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/125 s, -0.67 ev

Keleko

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2008
Wow, is that an Adam West sighting?
Captain America seems to have gone downhill since his big movie premier :D

I doubt it was West. There were several Batmans in the parade.

This next costume was one of the more elaborate ones.

IMG4618-XL.jpg

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Otter, very nice photo I love the colors and the way the heads of the ladies in the background are all lined up with the main, in focus subject. Did you select the shutter speed priority because it gave you the f 4 setting and therefore created the bokeh effect? Just curious for my own education how you set up this shot.

Very nicely composed, otter. The recession into the background is great!

Thanks!

fcortese: To a certain extent I was just lucky with the background blur. There was a lot of movement in the parade and in order to make sure I had sharp subjects I set the shutter priority to 1/250th. It was a slightly overcast, not very bright day so I knew I wouldn't have to worry about getting small apertures with a large depth of field anyway.

TH3D4RKKN1GH7

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009

Second 430EX II experiment.

If anyone has any tips in regards to shooting people I'd love to hear them.

EDIT 2: Gosh! Shooting people sounds terrible, photographing people I should say!

Last edited:

PWNkake

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2010

Thank you! Totally unprepared for the positive comments. I pretty much look at my photos and consider them average, but I guess I am finally developing a skill set!

Love the composition of your photo. Black and white are very tough for me. My only worthwhile black and white photo came by accident for me last year in the snow. You make it look easy here. :)

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.