Photo printer: Canon Pixma 4000 Or 5000?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Kirk, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

My old Epson printer has quietly died on me, so I need a new printer. I had decided to get a Canon Pixma 5000, but then I read that it had slower photo speed and slightly lower photo quality than the less-expensive Canon Pixma iP4000 (see link below).

Seems strange given the 1-picoliter minimum drop size (compared with 2 picoliters for the iP4000) and its 9,600– by 2,400-dpi maximum resolution (compared with 4,800 by 1,200 dpi for the iP4000).

Does anyone have any knowledge or experiences that can help me decide?
    :confused:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1725812,00.asp?kc=PCRSS02129TX1K0000530

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have a Canon i960 and it prints better than its big brother the i900 and cost less :cool: Have you seen the picture quality from both? Will you be printing up 4x6,5x7 or larger prints and how many? Now they are both 5 ink tank printers, so ink maybe used up faster by the 5000, so I would go with the lower cost unit unless you need to print like a pro(and I read the review). You might want to try Mac World and read some reviews on them there also.
    I sometimes wonder if I should have bought the i860 since it was cheaper than the other 2 as above that I had looked at. But if its for family pictures cost maybe a big factor to you then I would start with the less costly and see if you like the quality. :D

3. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Thank you for the reply!

I’m going to use it as an all-round "home-office" printer but I will print a lot of pictures too. From the reviews I have read, I think I will probably be happy with either one of them, but I always like to feel that I get the best possible value for my money(!)

If I just didn’t read the review I would probably sit here with the 5000 now . . .

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I know how it can be ticking at the mind as what to do. I say the 4000 because while they(reviews) are harder on the prints than the average person, you will be looking every bite as much for flaws ;)
    Yeah just take the plunge and enjoy :D

5. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

If I knew that Canon had a printer that could print on CDs I would have bought that one instead of my Epson that I bought. I say hell yeah get it :D
    I wonder if I could get one set to the States by mail order? Thanks for that link I'll look into that printer for myself :p

7. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

I’m now the proud owner of a new Canon PIXMA IP5000!

So far I have just printed a couple of photos without any calibration, but I am very satisfied with the results. The prints are remarkably close to what I see in Photoshop. It’s also fast, quiet and pretty cool looking . . !

:D

8. nels0360 macrumors member

I would go with the 4000. It is very reasonably priced and produces pics nearly indentical to the 5000 for less $$$.