Photo recovery from SD card?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark2288, Feb 10, 2007.

1. mark2288 macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    hey all,
    i was uploading photos into iPhoto (with the delete originals option on) and my entire system froze up so i had to restart my MBP using the powerbutton.

going back to get the photos, all but 5 are gone.

any way to check if i can get any back???? i'd be willing to buy reasonably priced software, but free is always better.

2. DiverCity macrumors newbie

Feb 11, 2009
  3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Aug 9, 2007
    Use Photorec. It's free, comes with Testdisk. It's the best you can get.
  4. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    check outphotorescue They do have a demo download, though I'm not sure what's crippled in the demo. I use this and highly recommend the program. It recovered long deleted photos, not just ones I recently did. It was also very successful in recovering photos from a corrupted CF card.
  5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    Why?? I don't even understand why Apple offer such a function, but neither do I understand why someone would use it.

I don't delete the images off my SD cards until

1) copied to external HD
    2) in iPhoto
    3) time machined to TM disk
    4) uploaded to offline storage.

Even if the import to iPhoto works,what happens if you have a HD crash? Or a fire. Or burglary? Call me paranoid but I have no wish to lose my previous photos.
  6. The WB macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2009
    Photo Recovery

I've used TestDisk before.

On a Win machine, I accidentally erased an older SmartMedia card with 125 pictures that I needed. The interface was clunky, you have to proceed slowly, read the directions, but I was able to get 100% recovery off my old flash media card.

Oh yea, one more thing -- it's Free Open Source software that can be used on multiple platforms including Mac Intel and PPC.
  7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Mar 20, 2009
    Near London, UK.
    I suspect, since the OP lost their photos in 2007, they have moved on since then :)