Photo Retouching tutorial

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Lacero, Aug 26, 2005.

1. macrumors 604

Lacero

Saw this tutorial posted somewhere on the net. Thought I'd pass it along to you guys. Makes you appreciate the work that goes into those glamour magazine covers.

It's quite a comprehensive tutorial so make yourself some tea and sit in a comfy chair.

http://www.vitalydruchinin.com/tutorials/retouch/T1part1/Retouching%20tutorial%201%20part%201.swf

2. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Reason you hid the link?

3. thread starter macrumors 604

Lacero

Made anyone serious about photo retouching to look for it. Didn't want the guys bandwidth to be shot to hell. But I've unhidden the link.

4. macrumors regular

I followed the link, and watched the first part of the tutorial... I would like to watch the other parts, but cannot figure out how to get them... This seems to be a very informative tutorial and I would love to see this guy's technique...

[EDIT] Nevermind, I figured it out...

5. macrumors G3

puckhead193

scary to see what they can do, with little effort :eek:

6. macrumors 65816

runninmac

Wow that is fricken amazing! :eek:

eyeon care to show how you got the other parts? or just post a link?

7. thread starter macrumors 604

Lacero

Second part/ of 4

h**p://www.vitalydruchinin.com/tutorials/retouch/T1part2/Retouching%20tutorial%201%20part%202.swf

8. macrumors 65816

runninmac

9. macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Wow, that must make it hard for the guy to be with girls. He must be SO picky and any imperfection would just be glaring to him

10. macrumors 68040

tech4all

Wow, that was pretty cool. Saw the first two so far. Amazing how much a little touch up can improve a photo.

11. macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Is there any way to download these and play them like an independent file?

12. macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i hear what you're saying, but for me, it's the opposite. i've worked in retouching companies for about a decade, and it's amazing what i've seen achieved. with me though, it makes me appreciate certain things more. my girlfriend (now fiancé) is very beautiful but not in a conventional magazine covergirl way. it's tricky to explain. i think a lot of the retouching in magazines is bad, it's overly airbrushed and not at all natural looking. good retouching should be invisible, and is way more difficult than most retouchers think...it's like the digital photography thing, both photoshop and digital cameras as so accessible and advanced now, that everyone thinks they're an expert! i'm not saying the guy who did the work in the links is bad, far from it, he's very good, but the look that is being accepted by art directors these days is very artificial, and that's a bad thing, in my eyes.

well, that was a mess of a reply, i'll quit while i'm behind! :)

13. macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Can only get part 1 & 2... Can someone post the link to 3 & 4?

14. thread starter macrumors 604

Lacero

Oh forgot about this thread.

Here's 3 of 4.

http://www.vitalydruchinin.com/tutorials/retouch/T1part3/Retouching%20tutorial%201%20part%203.swf

15. macrumors newbie

Thanks a LOT! Can you link the fourth part please?

16. thread starter macrumors 604

Lacero

http://www.vitalydruchinin.com/tutorials/retouch/T1part4/T1part4.swf

17. macrumors 6502a

highres

I agree, there is an art to good retouching, I see lots of bad retouching all around me every day. At the design firm I am an art director/production manager at, we first had to learn product or model photography, then retouching, then magazine or catalog design and layout, etc. Realism is always the best model or goal for retouching. Bad retouching or airbrushing is noticeable from a mile away.

Not to sound like a sourpuss, but now anybody can download Adobe CS and call themselves a "retoucher" without putting the time in to learn how to do it right. Also it is a little frustrating as a web designer, when home hobbyists download Dreamweaver and think they know how to build and design quality websites, it drives the quality and pricing down and gluts the marketplace with "designers". Enough of my rant, no offense intended.

18. macrumors 68030

munkle

Open up the link in Safari, then go to Window/Activity (or press option-command-A). In the activity window, option-click on the swf file. Once the file is downloading you can close the open window, saves you downloading the file twice.

19. macrumors newbie

I don't suppose anyone saved these tutorials and can send them to me. They are no longer online and I'd love to check them out.

20. macrumors regular

I would like to know, too. I would like to take a look at them if they are that impressive.

Thanks.