Photo Scanner Needed - Maybe Canon 9950F

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by VanMac, Sep 12, 2005.

1. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

Hi.

I'll need to do some photo scanning in a few months(for the in-laws 50 year anniversary presentation). I have a couple of multi-function printers that scan, (a dell and an HP), but they are so-so, and do not interface to my mac anyway.

So, I'm in the market for a scanner. Mostly family photos and stuff, some quite old. I do not mind buying something decent to build up the tools I have at my disposable for possible future projects.

Was looking at the Canon CanoScan 9950F. Not sure if this is overkill, but it looks pretty decent.

Anywho, any input would be appreciated.

2. YellowLabrador macrumors newbie

I used a canon 9950F. It's a great scanner for the price.
    Been scanning some old pictures (albums) and converting it to digital format. It can scan negatives too.

At first I tought it was an overkill for my needs. But now I'm glad I purchased it. I can also scan articles and save it as pdf.

3. mherz macrumors member

I must say I am not terribly excited by the Canon Scanner. to be precise and not unfair, I must point out that I have the predecessor model, 9900F. I am not sure if the 9950 is different in major parts.

What I am most unsatisfied with is the software, and here especially the color correction when scanning slides or positives. I am no novice when it comes to graphics, colors, etc. but I have NOT managed to get color correction calibrated, with none of the different settings that the sw offers (colorsync, canon, no color corr.)

What is worse, is that the preview sometimes does not relate at all to what you get as the final output. And there is no way of predicting in what way it will differ. What is also very annoying (and again, this is concerning the 9900F, so please maybe someone can confirm or invalidate what I am writing here) is the fact that the preview sometimes shows details and shadings when scanning positives or slides, which will not appear in the final scan.

I sent my scanner in for repair, but received it back with the report that there is nothing wrong with my model. Upon speaking with a technician, he told me, that the preview is done with a lower light intensity, and that it can catch details in bright areas which the real scan cannot identify anymore, because it is scanning with higher intensity light. I thought this was very strange, but in none of the settings that I tried (and there were hundreds) I managed to get all details in that I could just about see in my previews.

So again, this is concerning the 9900F, please someone correct me if I am wrong, or if it doesnt apply to the 9950F, but I would not buy my model anymore.

---