Photo Software for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by omeletpants, Dec 25, 2006.

1. omeletpants macrumors regular

I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative to iPhoto. Just want to be able to library photos and do some simple manipulations, then print. Would Adobe Elements 4.0 do the job. Thanks.

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I think Adobe Photoshop Elements would do the job. Why is that you don't want to use iPhoto? Photoshop Elements seems less focused on organization, and more focused on photo manipulation, sort of like "Photoshop-lite", but it does have organizational capabilities too as far as I know. It's not particularly cheap at $80, but certainly a lot cheaper than Photoshop.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To be honest, Photoshop Elements is really much more in the way of an editor than a library program. It's great. I love it. But can you say why you don't like iPhoto? That might help pick one that's better for you....

4. omeletpants thread starter macrumors regular

I'm very unhappy with iPhoto. The spinning beachballs and lost/grayed-out photos is just too much. Also, on printing what shows up on my screen is not what shows up on the printer. I have the latest version of iPhoto and it's gotten worse. The print button is gone in this version and the upgrade reset my printer default to "letter banner" rather than US Letter and I can't change it back. It's just been a horrible piece of software for me.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The options in this blog sound like they might be ok:

It is not the primary purpose of GraphicConverter, but many people also swear by that application.

Alternatively you could certainly buy a PC and use Picasa. ;)

Or try rebuilding your iPhoto library. iPhoto does seem to have bugs, but not at the level that you're describing....