Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

photo_stream_iphone_icon_4.jpg

Earlier today, a photo was sent to both MacRumors and 9to5Mac showing an instructional image included in the latest iPhoto 9.2 beta that includes an unusual looking iPhone-like device. The image has naturally led to speculation that it could represent the iPhone 5.

German site Appdated.de has also posted some actual screenshots showing the image in question.

photo_stream_iphone_icon_2.jpg

photo_stream_iphone_icon_3.jpg

Aside from the extremely low likelihood of anyone involved in iPhoto design work having details on the iPhone 5, the image in question certainly appears to merely be an artist's representation of a generic iOS device to accompany the text referring to iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices. Consequently, we have no reason to believe that this image represents anything related to the iPhone 5 and post it here solely for interest and discussion.

Article Link: Photo Stream Illustration Leads to iPhone 5 Speculation

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very interesting, hopefully this is a sign of things to come...

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
can anyone point to another instance where a "generic iOS device" has been pictured anywhere in apple's marketing materials, mac os x graphics, etc.?

i have NEVER seen apple do this anywhere. i don't buy the explanation, thats the iPhone 5.
compatibilitye.jpg

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I hope this is true, looks great and would explain why apple tried to get the galaxy s2 banned. It looks identical, now who copied who?

skythefly13

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2005
Why would the home button be oblong/rectangular shaped if it was just a 'generic artist representation of an iOS device'? :confused:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Why would the home button be oblong/rectangular shaped if it was just a 'generic artist representation of an iOS device'? :confused:

The leaked cases had a home button like that tho. Maybe they r just playing us? Using all those rumors to confuse everyone but then again its just a freakin gadget, ppl sure cant be that desperate right? RIGHT???

hNicolas

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
Ottawa, ON
The only reason for the rectangular shaped home button is for a larger screen. In my opinion, the Macrumors iPhone 5 rendition is what the iPhone 5 will most likely appear as. That's good news!

nickpro

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Bay Area
its very simple - if apple would have wanted to show a graphical representation of an iPhone, iPad, AND iPod Touch, it would have pictured 3 little cartoons of the separate devices. instead it chose to picture 1 device. you do the math.

justinfreid

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2009
NEW Jersey / USA
can anyone point to another instance where a "generic iOS device" has been pictured anywhere in apple's marketing materials, mac os x graphics, etc.?

i have NEVER seen apple do this anywhere. i don't buy the explanation, thats the iPhone 5.

Great image to post. I think this new icon represents an upcoming device.

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Scaled up, the screen of that device is 121 by 190; which fits almost exactly (allowing for error) into a 16x10 ratio. The body doesn't fit particularly well with current devices, it's either longer or wider than any we've seen so far.

While I'd hate to think of apple changing the screen dimensions, this had to be based on something.

giggles.png
giggles2.png

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Scaled up, the screen of that device is 121 by 190; which fits almost exactly (allowing for error) into a 16x10 ratio. The body doesn't fit particularly well with current devices, it's either longer or wider than any we've seen so far.

While I'd hate to think of apple changing the screen dimensions, this had to be based on something.

Image Image

The pic on the left is a dream come true. However it looks like a htc ^^

tlevier

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Littleton, CO
Even if you could remember the last time Apple used a generic phone image in their software for iTunes or iPhoto, the real question is when was the last time Apple went out of it's way to create an icon based on a device's rumored design?

This practically seals the deal for my prediction:

Prediction: Apple will release 2 new iPhones and discontinue both the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4. The 2 new phones will be iPhone 4S, (The low end entry level model which will have a speed boost over the iPhone 4) and the iPhone 5, which will have a completely new design and screen size. As the company transitions to the new screen size, look to the iPad 3 to have an HD screen that is basically "pixel doubling" based on the larger iPhone 5 screen.

Count it!

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
It does seem weird that the designers went out of the way to make the iOS device look like that. We know it's easy to just put a small rectangle and a circle, and voila you're done! but to make it an elongated home button, and a seeming bigger screen, would point to at least something.

It's a designer for iPhoto, why wouldn't the person be educated about the upcoming iPhone if he/she is to include it as an icon?
Also, it is a beta, and therefore not released to the public. So it's a possibility.

The biggest joke of all would be.. if the iPhone 5 looks similar to the Samsung Galaxy S2 LOL! Who is suing who now?

Image Image

If your calculation is right, then I can definitely see it fitting the rumored iPhone 5 case leaks. Hmm..

iphone5-case-leaked-thinner-and-larger.jpg

Last edited:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

Image Image

That looks awesome! I hope that the iPhone does get a 16:10 screen after seeing this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.