Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Not sure if this is old news or not, but I was screwing around on my iPad taking some pictures. Rather than editing these photos on the iPad I jumped over to my iMac and was thinking: "I have to open iPhoto to access my Photo Stream photos to begin to edit them".

Or did I?

A quick Google and I found this:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/18/access-ios-photo-stream-from-mac-os-x-finder/

Basically, the Photo Stream is stored deep in the Library folder. Just perform a search by Image and save that search. Voila! I think this is pretty neat.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Thanks for the tip. I wonder if this works for users who haven't purchased iPhoto for their Mac? I'm using iPhoto for now, but I'd love to create a cron job that goes in on the first of the month and grabs all my photos and copies them to my network drive. That would save me some steps in iPhoto dragging photos out and importing them (without copying them to iPhoto Library).

I have over 300 GB of photos and back when I used to keep them all in iPhoto Library it became unusable when it hit 67 GB. Now that I keep them in folders, being careful not to move them around, it never slows down.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
I have over 300 GB of photos and back when I used to keep them all in iPhoto Library it became unusable when it hit 67 GB. Now that I keep them in folders, being careful not to move them around, it never slows down.

Have you considered using Aperture? Might be more useful for your large photo collection? It syncs with your existing iPhoto library.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Have you considered using Aperture? Might be more useful for your large photo collection? It syncs with your existing iPhoto library.

The problem is that Aperture uses the same iPhoto Library. If the Library doesn't work well with iPhoto, what are the chances Aperture will be any better?

Now that I'm using a "mostly empty" with all my photos stored on an external FW drive, iPhoto works "well enough" and I'm not really sure what I'd gain by spending the money to buy Aperture.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

Aperture isn't much different than iPhoto though most of my problems are not with the software but more rather that I have a 5 year old iMac with a 50gb iPhoto library. It is what it is.

I am realizing the "saved search" I recommend isn't perfect. The Photo Stream photos aren't showing up too rapidly. I'll continue to explore this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.