Photo Sync–Big Issue w/ iTunes (Help, Please!)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ibilly, Feb 7, 2006.

1. ibilly macrumors regular

iTunes has started to refuse to update both of my photo-capable ipods. It converts all the photos into a pod-kosher format, then after completeing that, it locks up my system for ~5 munutes (the mouse moves, but the screen won't change and audio stops. I can't even see what's going on in Activity Monitor bc it's such a complete arrest) and THEN
    it says that the photos weren't copied because the ipod could not be read of written to.

This is after doing everything but copying the pics. I am quite sure that my ipod's drive can be both read and written to without speed slow-down or error. Because it happens repeatable with 2 healthy iPods (I even tried switching cables and ports), I have concluded that iTunes is the issue.

ANY ideas/remedies?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Look for two files named com.apple.iPod.plist and drag them out of their containing folders. :)

3. ibilly thread starter macrumors regular

Does it make a difference if the ipod is attached? also, I have movies placed on my video one that dont fit on my computer, so if it tried to automatically update my ipod, I'd be out a 4-5 days worth of handbraking...

-->Am I worying too much about two wee preference files?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Erm, I've only ever removed these when there's been no iPod connected and I've never actually lost anything on the iPod as a result. All it means is that you'll have to reconfigure your iPod preferences which by the sounds of things, means telling it to manually manage your videos. :)

5. ibilly thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I'm in the middle of updating the ipod-photo (optimizing) with new prefernce files
    I'll post back soon

p.s. thx, mj!

6. ibilly thread starter macrumors regular

well, it's still not working. Different problems this time. new symptoms:
    no system freezing, it will delete photos quite happily (I tried doing only a few albums), and repeatedly gets this error (-39)
    (see attachment)

I don't know what to do... I'm out of storage space, but I have stuff on my ipod O don't want to nuke...

all the software is up to date

it seems to hate me

Attached Files:

7. ibilly thread starter macrumors regular

I've found an old drive, so i'm taking off all the stuff I want...
    I'm going to wipe w/ disk utility then restore with ipod utility

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good idea. If a standard erase doesn't work then try writing zeroes to it (in Disk Utility). It's one of the security options and it's a more heavy duty way of erasing a disk. :)

Good luck.