Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Hey everyone. I'm thinking about getting an ipod of xmas this year but i need some help. I'm not sure whether to get the photo ($380 Australian) or the photo ($450 Australian). I like the video but I doubt I'd use the video function much and I don't want it covered in thousand of scratches a day after I get it. The photo comes with an AC adapter so thats an advantage. Does the photo have better battery life? The harddrisk space doesnt really matter because I don't have 30GB of music yet so I'll probably use it as an external harddrive sometimes. How long do you think it will be when the photo becomes 'obsolete'? I just want some thoughts on this. Thanks in adavance

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Well, the video is smaller and has longer battery life. The video has a bigger screen, which is not just good for videos--it's better for photos, too.

Right now, the video doesn't support remote control, so that may be a problem for you. If you really want to save money you might look for a refurb model. If you don't want scratches, you should get a case, no matter which model you buy.

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
I highly, highly, highly recommend the photo. Great battery life, and much less scratch-prone than the 5G. I love mine.

BTW, do you know of anywhere that still sells factory-sealed new 4g 's online?

Jimmieboy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2005
Australia
Hey everyone. I know that for us Australians a number of companys are selling brand new seale iPod photos. Not sure about amera though. Have you tried overstock.com? Thanks for your rplies. By the way whats the difference in battery life between the two models?

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
wordmunger said:
Well, the video is smaller and has longer battery life. The video has a bigger screen, which is not just good for videos--it's better for photos, too.
Well, the battery life on the Rev. C iPod Photo/with Color Screen was 15 hyours on both models, the new 30GB 5G model has 14 hours, the 60GB has 20 hours.

Even so, they are both thinner, lighter and have better quality screens than their predecessors had. The scratches can show up a little more on the 5G than on the 4G, but we have ours out, alarmed up, for customers to play with all day, every day and they are still bearing up well, (and that is used whenever customers say they've read about scratch problems, they look at those models out and realise it isn't as bad as they read). The only other problem I could see is firewire. You can now only charge through firewire, so you must make sure you have USB 2.0. Other than that, go for the video. You may not use the feature much, but the weight and size difference makes it worthwhile alone.

Also, many have reported the sound quality to be better. while it is marginal, I would agree.

student_trap

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2005
'Ol Smokey, UK
I just today bought a ipod photo brand new from a store in london (with warrenty), last one I believe, so am well chuffed. I figured that I never found the 4G model to be too big so was not bothered about the size. Also, with the incredibly short battery life when watching video, i wasn't bothered about that facility either. Plus the old clickwheel is more precise than the new ones, and with FW support, more accessories and better battery life (photo models actually exceed the apple estimates and run for 17 hours), i figure i got a good deal. Especially as it was cheaper too!
My advice would be to try and source out a 4th Gen one quick if thats what you want, as they are hard to come by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.