Photobooth cam not working in iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tjung, Nov 14, 2006.

1. tjung macrumors newbie

I have a 20in iMac last years model which came standard with OS 10.4.4. I upgraded to 10.4.8 plus a host of other iLife updates and now my cam doesn't work. It was working fine before and I believe it stopped after the updates although i'm not sure. The green light comes on like the camera is working but the iSight cam screen is dark..no image. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm new to mac so i'm pretty clueless right now. Thanks

Tim

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I had to reinstall Mac OS X to fix this.

I called AppleCare and they had never heard of the issue before.

Try taking a flashlight and point it directly at the camera. If you see a light corona, some setting is messed up.

I couldn't do an Achieve and Install as it would still keep the corrupted setting.

3. tjung thread starter macrumors newbie

Well actually I looked the problem up on the apple site and followed the steps they provided and it fixed the issue. Basically I had to reset the SMC chip buy powering down the computer and removing all cables for a minimum of 15 seconds are so. I plugged everything back in, booted up, started photobooth and the camera was working. Thanks for replying though.

Tim