Photobooth won't open

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iHateGates, Jul 16, 2006.

1. iHateGates macrumors member

Feb 2, 2006
    I discovered yesterday that the Photobooth ap won't open on my G5. I get a window that says that the application photo booth quit unexpectedly. Mac OS X and other Aps are not affected. I then have the choise to close, report, or reopen. Reopen just brings the same window, I did report it to apple, but haven't heard anything. Anyone know what this is?
  2. arorat macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2007
    On an iMac 20" (less than a week old) upgraded to Leopard is having the same problems, I also need some help from a Mac expert.

Sometimes Photo Booth opens but isight is disanled with a line through the camera.

Any ideas ?
  3. SENJU macrumors newbie

Nov 21, 2007
    Isight Issues

There is indeed a issue regarding isight on some (but not all) macintoshes for example MacBook Pro. isite related applications like Photobooth will get a message as follows;
    " Photo Booth cannot open because no camera is attached or the camera is in use by another application"

But this problem is a iSite issue so Ichat and Imovie which also uses iSite will have the same error message.

You can confirm this by getting your "For Mac Computers Mac OS X Install Disc 1" and insert into your disk drive. Reboot an hold down the D key as the computer starts up. This will you the option to do a Hardware test. I am pretty sure your test will be successful. This test will help you determine whether the issue is software or hardware related.

This is not a profile or application issue. If you reset the PROM and reboot 3 times with this command, it sometimes solves system issues. However, I am sad to say it will not solve this one.

Apple is being quiet about this issue. That is to say, their engineers have not informed Support Helpdesk about this issue regarding isite so your phone calls to support will probably not do much. You will need to do a re-install. The good news is you will not need to do a CLEAN install but just a system archive overwrite install. It shouldn't take over 30 minutes. Before you do your updates, launch photobooth and it should work. Then, do your updates and then try again.

Log your actions
    If you still have issues, be sure you log your actions and report to Apple because they need to address this.