Photographic Film Help Needed Please

Discussion in 'Community' started by e²Studios, Jun 13, 2005.

1. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    There are some photos that my daughters school is depending on my wife to have by Friday. The problem is that my wife accidentally used Color Slide film in the camera instead of standard print film.

I know there are a lot of experts here with photography, is it possible to make prints from a roll of slide film? Can i take the roll to any old wal-mart or target film store and explain that i want prints and not slides? I am not sure if this is even possible, or if i will be able to get prints by Friday without spending a ton of money since this is a school project there isnt much of a budget to begin with.

any advice would be appreciated.

2. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    You can get prints from slides. Thats no problem at all. About the costs and the time? That really depends on where you are going.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    Any decent photo store should be able to do it, it's called E6 processing (if my memory serves).
    It's usually more expensive than normal film processing though.

Back in the day they'd have to do Cibachrome prints, usually fairly expensive.
    But now, they'd probably just scan the slides and use a printer
  4. Jeromie macrumors member

Jan 28, 2005
    It is certainly possible to get prints made from color slide film. Most minilabs these days scan the negatives and make prints from the resulting digital image instead of using wet chemistry anyway, and the process shouldn't be any different for slide film. There are other ways to make prints from slide film, of course, but that's the most likely option. If you need fast turn around the only consideration is finding a place that develops slide film in house instead of sending it off, which may mean taking it to a camera store instead of the local drugstore or Wal-Mart. I don't think they develop slide film on site.
  5. e²Studios thread starter macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Is it possible to take them to a Wal-Mart or Target for processing? We dont need slides at all, just prints. can those one hour machines use the slide film as if they were print film and produce prints from the slide film?

6. Jeromie macrumors member

Jan 28, 2005
    They require a different development process. There are machines that will process slide film (as someone else mentioned, this is E6 processing), but every place that has color film processing capability does not have slide film processing capability. You may have to call around to find a place that can process it without sending it out. Otherwise it may take a week or two to get the slides back.

And you can't get prints made without first getting the slides. Slides are actually the film strip itself cut up and mounted (though you don't have to get them mounted), so the process of getting it developed creates the slides.